Re: Origin Unable to install in root directory

by GrimReaperrz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Unable to install in root directory

★★★★★ Apprentice

Why the hell am i unable to install my games in X:\   ? 

It keeps saying that i cannot install them in the root directory

It's stupid as hell considering every other platform allows me to do so. GOG galaxy, Uplay, Battle.net

that whole ssd is dedicated to games only so i don't really want them in sub folders. like X:\OriginGames\(insertgamename)

Message 1 of 27 (69,999 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA DICE Team

To clarify - we don't allow installing in a root directory as that may lead to uninstalling unintended files when removing Origin. Please make a dedicated folder to install to, instead.

View in thread

Message 17 of 27 (47,278 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 27 (69,946 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Doesn't really apply to my issue.
Message 3 of 27 (69,919 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @GrimReaperrz

First thing to do : make sure you have enough space in the partition where you want to install the game and now you have to create a Origin Games folder.Then you need to create this Origin Games folder because Origin must knows where to download and install the game, otherwise it can not. (ex.:"E:\Games\Origin Games").

And now make sure that the download directory in your Origin client reflects your desired location ,Origin - Application Settings - Install&Saves - here choose your game location. More details here https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Clear Origin cache https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/origin-my-games-list-is-blank/

Delete temp files: open the Start Menu and type %temp% in the Search field  or click in the Run option in the Start Menu and type %temp% in the Run field.Press Enter and a Temp folder should open. You can delete all files found in this folder, and if any files are in use, they can be skipped.

Restart your machine.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.I'm a gamer like you, trying to help you (i'm not an EA employee).

If you want to know us or/and come up with ideas to improve the Origin platform or/and talk about anything and many more besides,you could also visit the NEW section Origin General Discussion http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/origin-general-discussion-en

Retired champion.
Message 4 of 27 (69,860 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah see. i don't want to do that. for example. if i were to install dragon age inquisition. 
I want it to be installed in X:\Dragon Age Inquisition

not X:\Games\Dragon age inquisition or X:\Games\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition (both are possible or atleast were on my old system)

I'm just really nitpicky about this sort of stuff. and my thread is more of a complaint then anything else really. 

Message 5 of 27 (69,846 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

first of all its a windows security that prevent it. ( sorry for sound hard here, no one in right mind allow install in root this is a know security issue in itself to grant access to that and thats why you need to install games in folder Games or Program files, those 2 folder name is use to old dos game with8,3 name games and have lesser restrictions on games because old games need it. this is know by server people and people that actual read it then it was released as information so many years ago, and i guess that information is forgotten along the way, it not your faulth for not knowing this, try see it as share network folder as root, and now it make sense, you just give a program right to be install in root.

ps.

security is the biggest issue with many things today, they try plug up all the holes that was standard way back. ( my advice always try keep path and only change the drev letters, this also make it easy for you to track down location then you read something about change a thing in a game then path match as much as possible.

Message 6 of 27 (69,835 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Bro it's real easy to work around

choose whatever disk you wanna install the game in and create a new folder and name it " Origin Games"

and later on in the go to install and saves and change your root to the new folder you just created.

should work. it did for me

Message 7 of 27 (60,936 Views)

★★★ Newbie
exactly
Message 8 of 27 (60,548 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

bigthanks! helped me out

@rohan_98222 wrote:

Bro it's real easy to work around

choose whatever disk you wanna install the game in and create a new folder and name it " Origin Games"

and later on in the go to install and saves and change your root to the new folder you just created.

should work. it did for me

Message 9 of 27 (60,356 Views)

★★★ Newbie

wow that really was easy! thank you for the easy help!

Message 10 of 27 (57,392 Views)