Origin Launcher Won't Open After Update

by Luixxa

Original Post

Origin Launcher Won't Open After Update

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

EDIT: Oh my word, after hours of struggling I (think) I fixed it.

Here's what I did in case anyone's here with the same issue:

-Went to the Origin install folder, deleted the file called "OriginThinSetupInternal"

-Right-clicked on Origin and did "Troubleshoot Compatibility", used recommended settings (Windows 8 settings in my case)

-Tested the program, and boom, Origin launched. Hurrah! Hopefully things stay in working order...

As the title says, I cannot get my Origin launcher to open. I was able to load and play The Sims 4 just fine last night. The first time I started up the launcher today it went on to make an update, (version 10.5.56.33908) after which the launcher disappeared and every time I have attempted to open it since it refuses to do anything. I don't get any popup whatsoever.

According to the Task Manager, Origin is actually open. Task Manager tells me it's constantly utilizing nearly 100% of my CPU (and nothing but the CPU - none of the disk, no network usage). I've left it for several minutes but it still never does anything but that until I end the task. Screenshot is attached of this.

So far I've already tried:

1. Restarting my computer

2. Running as administrator

3. Clearing all of the cache

4. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling (more than once)

Note that it will reinstall just fine, after which when it attempts to launch nothing happens... except the extreme utilization of my CPU in the background.

Message 1 of 2 (369 Views)

Re: Origin Launcher Won't Open After Update

I tried this and I'm still having issues. This all seemed to start when Origin started to try and update Battlefield V today. It made it halfway through the download and then just crashed. I got some sort of error saying a file was missing that was needed to complete the update and instructed me to click "continue". After that, it began a small download again and then crashed. After that, I haven't been able to get Origin to get past loading the main screen before my CPU usage spikes to 100% and then the program closes. I've tried all the usual steps as well as anything else I've seen people having the same issue do as instructed by the Guides in the forum. Cleared cache, performed clean boot, completely removed and reinstalled Origin, performed the compatibility wizard, patted my head while rubbing my belly, AND spitting and cursing in every direction. None of this has seemed to help. It'd be wonderful to know what's going on...but yea....

Message 2 of 2 (296 Views)