by TamaskanHusky

Original Post

Re: Origin High CPU usage

★ Guide
@TamaskanHusky close origin and launch it is only way to temporarily fix it
Message 41 of 71 (2,752 Views)

★★ Novice

This and all the information in this isn't accurate at all. . . I played DAI for HOURS upon HOURS. I bought a new graphics card had it installed and checked the install myself and now when i go to play DAI it's a black screen before a crash. . .This is ridiculous as this GPU is better then the one i had. I did the whole list of 8-10 things to try to get it to work and nothing. EA you need to figure out how to properly help your fan base before you lose all of us with this ridiculous client!

Message 42 of 71 (2,642 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

How could they have done nothing to fix this problem?

It's serious and they should pay more attention to customers who have reported it.

Message 43 of 71 (2,629 Views)

★ Novice

I had the same problem with high CPU consumption, about 30-40% when the Origin client was idle (this is why I found this forum).

As @sparksc88 was mentioning I had some black screens and crashes after installing a new graphics card, so I switched to the old card, but the problem did happen again (it never had with my old reliable GTX 1080).

Without telling the whole story about my trial and errors, I will jump directly to my solution to all my problems.

I downloaded the free version of IObit Uninstaller. Unsinstalled Origin and marked remove all residual stuff.

Then I downloaded the latest version of Origin and installed it. 

All my installed games were located and my CPU utilization with an idle Origin client now became 0,3 - 2,8% and I have (not yet) had any crashes.

This might not be the final solution for everyone in the thread, but I wanted to share this just in case it could be of any help.....

Message 44 of 71 (2,392 Views)

★★★ Novice

Nice, my PC randomly developed black screen crashes out of no where... ended up being a recent Windows update that is suppose to be fixed with another update soon. Running fine without, no crashing or freezing.

Message 45 of 71 (2,386 Views)

★★★ Novice

First process:
Right click Origin desktop shortcut,
select properties
go to the compatibility tab
then select "run this program in compatability mode for:"
select Windows 7
Under Privilege level select run as administrator.
Run the program from that shortcut

Second process:
Run Origin from the shortcut we just messed with
Right click game in question in Library (Sims 4 for me) and select repair
push x in the queue for everything except the stuff packs (green ones)
Let them all finish and notice your CPU will slowly raise as you use it for Origin verifying...  this is where the CPU overuse usually starts for me.
Once the stuff packs finish verifying Close Origin all the way out in task manager.
run from desktop icon again and repair one more time, this time not touching/doing anything else
I got it done this way.

I am not sure if My solution works for anyone, but here is things to note in my case:

Windows 8 x64
i7-3770 3.40GHz
GTX 1050Ti  4GB VRAM
16GB ram
DX 11
Game is installed on D: Drive (SSD)
that way I can format C: (windows) whenever needed without losing game installs.

My motherboard is from 2012 and the parts listed above are the highest capabilities it supports, so I guess that may tell you more savvy people something ???

Message 46 of 71 (2,267 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think I can help some of you...

This fixed it for me:

Origin>Application Settings -scroll down- > Start Up Options -turn off Origin Helper service-

Origin now runs at around 0.1 to 0.3 CPU usage (with no games running).  It was originally at 90-98% CPU usage which is crazy for a desktop game client!! 

Hope it helps!

Message 47 of 71 (2,164 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Just finished new build  i7 9700 with 2GB GPU, and 2TB HDD.     Noticed that as soon as the Origin client is started, mouse starts to get very "laggy".

Also noticed that one of the cores on the CPU is working over time (high % usage)   which in turn is causing CPU temp to rise...though I shoudl add, not to worrying levels at this point.

Even when I shut down all aps the CPU was idling at over 50C (not critical, but not what I'd expect)

I then killed the Origin background task that was still running in teh background........CPU now idling at around 33C (and power demand has dropped a lot too) which is what i'd expect

Clearly the Origin client needs some work doing to it, and has other posters have said...its surprising that this is stil an issue years after the original post.

I also took the advice of previous poster and disabled the "Helper Service", this certainly seems to reduce the overheads  nicely

Message 48 of 71 (2,111 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just to pile on here. First, thank you for everyone who posted successful tips (even if minor improvements). Same issue; start Origin, run game, game runs fine but on closing, Origin disappears, PC goes into super sludge mode, CPU is 90+%. I went into Settings and disabled everything I didn't actually use (which was just about everything. I'm not a social player so I don't need the chat and friends etc etc.)

Stopped Hardware info sharing, stopped Helper, turned off notices and just about anything other than update. On the next start, Origin ran much smoother, game was fine. Close the game and origin dropped to a couple percent. Closed Origin and it dropped the CPU completely. NOTE: Origin did NOT completely unload itself from memory. Running actively it was using 140+ MB, after closing Origin memory use drops to 40-65MB depending on the instance. There seems to still me something in the background that just touches my network connector but doesn't actually transmit or receive. I think someone has a poorly written handshake protocol. This residual doesn't seem to affect performance but thought I'd mention it.

So, Info Sharing and Helper were the greatest offenders for me.

Message 49 of 71 (1,834 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Lightfoot1218, 

Thanks for the insight!  I was getting 14 to 20% CPU additional memory and heavy power usage all the time (in game or out of game) from Origin!  The only thing that stopped this usage was to quit Origin.  Origin never appeared to go idle in Task Manager!

I tied your suggested approach to cut out some of the background notification processes. So, I turned off everything  in the notifications options area I didn't feel I needed, quit  and then lunched what I had been playing (Mass Effect Andromeda) from the steam shortcut on my desk to an the background system resource usage went away.

When I get a chance I will see if I can pin it down to just certain on/off switches in the interface.

Thanks Again!

Testing:

1) Ran game again from Desktop Steam short cut. Origin run and quits repeatedly in the start up process for short periods of time with low CPU usage. I never had to login again!

2) Game is now in steady state waiting for me to start it in full screen mode.  Origin is running .3-.4% CPU usage and 125.6MB in Task Manager.  Everything else is 0

3) Launched game in windowed mode. CPU usage is the same and memory went to127.1 MB

4) Resumed game, in game, Origin CPU usage ranges 0-0.7% and memory is 127.2 MB very small amounts of drive and network usage at random.

5) Played game until time to quit, Origin icon disappeared from system background tray.

6) Next morning Origin was still missing from System Background Icon tray. Launched game, Origin was activated as before with about the same minimal impact. Closed game and Origin disappeared from System Background Icon Tray and Task Manager again.

I have established a baseline for isolating what impacts CPU, Memory, Etc in Origin as I turn things back on...

Message 50 of 71 (1,579 Views)