Re: Origin High CPU usage

by oflahertychris

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

yup happens to me.. even idle when im not playing a game it can sit at 30-60% CPU usage.. EA why

Message 21 of 71 (4,818 Views)

★ Guide

Not sure if you are aware, there is a program called process explorer, A very good tool for troubleshooting.  I was able to pinpoint exactly what ptocees was causing my high CPU usage with in origin.

See my screen shot of it..  You will see, it was Qt5Core.dll causing the 10% CPU usage, not as high as yours, but high enough to spin up all the fans in my system continuously.  

From process explorer i was able to kill that one process, and everything went back to normal.  Origin still running.  I belive it was something to do with cloud syncing after a game update.  

May not be the same problem as yours, but for bug reporting, process explorer, is great.  google it, its free, and gives a whole lot more options than the windows, task manaher

Message 22 of 71 (4,747 Views)

★★★ Novice

I got the same issue today.... Why is there no official fix for this?

Message 23 of 71 (4,628 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I managed to sort mine I uninstalled it but when I reinstalled it I deselected all the boxes and works fine minimum CPU usage is back and games running perfect again 

Message 24 of 71 (4,437 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I had never had this before today and I have been using Origin for a very long time. I thought my fans were loud but then thought it is just because it is the middle of the night. Nope, it was my fans running hard. Origin was using almost 45% processor while sitting idle in the system tray. I'm just adding to this because the recent posts here may be from the last Origin app update as this is an entirely new issue for me.

Message 25 of 71 (4,194 Views)

★ Guide

Same issue since recent update, Origin takes as much as 60% of my CPU(!) even when setting it as offline and no game is running!

Only way for me right now is to put my pc on airplane mode before starting origin/a game and play completely offline.

Message 26 of 71 (4,115 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hmm I recently installed that EA Desktop Beta. I wonder if that is in any way related. Have any of you also installed it? (It crashes a lot also)

Message 27 of 71 (4,104 Views)

★★ Novice

same here having 90% usage

Message 28 of 71 (4,073 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

This just started for me not to recently.. I close out of Madden, and the fans are blowing super hard and nothing is even running.. I go to task manager and see the power usage is very high and Im using memory and cpu with no games running.. its really strange, but even stranger, no fans running after I open task manager, so what gives?

Message 29 of 71 (4,033 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same here, just installed Origin for the first time on a brand new Razer Stealth 13 Windows 10 yesterday. My fans was running super high all morning, eventually I open task manager and I see the damn app is running constantly at 50%. First I thought it must have crashed but no, the app was responsive.

EA, I am a programmer myself. Either you are deliberately doing something very unethical with my hardware in the background - mining bitcoins or whatever - or, your code base is polluted with crap and bad code quality. Gez, I can't even remember last time I had an endless thread loop just spinning (and have it go to production!). This is the sort of mistakes you do the first year of learning how to program. Sadly I suspect the former since this bug was reported YEARS ago. Please come clean and be honest, it should be in your "corporate values" already.

Tell us. Why?

Message 30 of 71 (3,862 Views)