Re: Origin High CPU usage

by Humayan_Kabir

Original Post

★★ Novice

Just curious, did you end up finding a fix? I've got the same issue and apparently it's been a thing for years according to my searches on the matter.

Message 11 of 71 (9,761 Views)

★★ Novice
Hey guys, I managed to figure out what was doing it for me and it was something you would not ever expect it to be.

Screen Resolution.

I had it set to 4k, but after finding and following step 1 of this https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/HOW-TO-Fixing-issues-with-Origin-not-opening-properly..., setting to 800x600 and then reverting back to 4k, then restarting to click the Origin icon and find it working again.

Please EA, look into fixing this bug, because something as simple as screen resolution should not be causing a program to use up all of the CPU and not start.
Message 12 of 71 (9,705 Views)

★★ Novice

Unbelievable. Why has this not been fixed still? Whoever is responsible should have his/ her face turned into a street pizza.

Never mind. I'm done actually. Say goodbye to another customer 

Message 13 of 71 (9,172 Views)

★★ Apprentice

stll 100% on CPU and over 70% on GPU (i7-7700HQ, 16 GB and GTX 1070)

Message 14 of 71 (8,820 Views)

★★★ Newbie

go to origin base file then right click on origin properties then Compatibility then run this program on windows 8

Message 15 of 71 (8,509 Views)

★★ Novice

Anyone continuing to have this issue, the windows 8 compatibility fix works. Alternatively you can quit origin after game loads. GL 

Message 16 of 71 (7,464 Views)

★★ Novice
@Freestylnfrodad Thank you!! Worked for me as well.
Message 17 of 71 (7,156 Views)

★★★★ Novice

OMG this is actualy help,thank You so much!HeartHeartHeart

Message 18 of 71 (6,790 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have windows 10 and my granddaughter has an account on my PC if she just leaves her game without doing anything my PC starts to run like crap.   This has been for YEARS..  Its always Origin that's using CPU, even though the game is not being played and the user has not logged back on in days.  What the hell is origin doing with all that CPU and why is it doing it. No other program I use does that. 

Message 19 of 71 (6,771 Views)

★ Guide

I'm having a similar problem, but maybe not quite the same.  I can run games (okay, just Sims 4 because it's the only one I have through Origin) just fine, but when I repair the game, it maxes out the CPU and stays that way.  I normally do a repair after every Sims 4 patch just to clean things up but this time I'm worried about it.  I started a repair and then canceled out of repairing about a third of the packs because I was affraid my computer would crash mid-repair.

Been this way for at least two patches.

I did try the Windows 8 thing, but that doesn't seem to have helped with this, at least.

Message 20 of 71 (6,712 Views)