Origin Doesn't Want To Work; MSCVP120.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll Weren't Found

by CHIIIVIIII

Original Post

Origin Doesn't Want To Work; MSCVP120.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll Weren't Found

★★★ Novice

I've been playing the Sims 4 for years now. I've spent a lot of money and time on this game. So, when I couldn't open it about three days ago due to "MSCVP120.dll" being missing or corrupted, I was frustrated but sat with tech support for a while and solved it, only to have two more errors like it pop up and getting frustrated once tech support didn't help. So, I reset my computer. I wiped it completely. Now, I thought it'd be easy: I'd just reinstall Origin and because my laptop is clean, it'd work. Nope. Now, it's claiming MSCVP120.dll isn't found along with a new error claiming something called VCRUNTIME140.dll is also missing. Please, please, please, please help me. I just want to play the game I spent money on. 

Message 1 of 9 (1,171 Views)

Re: Origin Doesn't Want To Work; MSCVP120.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll Weren't Found

@CHIIIVIIII  The MSVCP120.dll is part of the 2013 VC++ redistributable, and the various 140.dlls are part of the 2015 versions.  It's best to uninstall both, if you happen to have them, and install fresh copies from Microsoft.  Hit Windows key-i and select Apps, then scroll down to Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable, click on both the x86 and x64 versions, and select Uninstall.  Do the same for the 2015 versions, again both x86 and x64.  You can download new ones from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

You can skip the _arm version for 2013, but be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions for both years.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (1,144 Views)

Re: Origin Doesn't Want To Work; MSCVP120.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll Weren't Found

★★★ Novice

You need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC from the link supplied in the marked as answer reply to this thread, the 32bit version download and install of the data link library will be the most likely one that you will need, even if you are using a 64bit system, however, if the app that needs the file to run was developed for a 64bit OS only then you will need the 64bit version. You can install both versions on a 64bit system as a 64bit system will run both 32bit and 64bit apps and/or programs.

Here is the link again, for your convenience.

https://geeksadvice.com/fix-vcruntime140-dll-is-missing-error-on-windows/

Message 3 of 9 (1,115 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict Hey, man. Thank you! I was very skeptical, and couldn't get an answer for this exact problem with the .dlls. I tried it anyway. It took about 5 minutes, the links were perfect, and darn -- Origin was up, & going!
Message 4 of 9 (1,095 Views)

★★ Novice

thx for the help.But i downloaded both and it still says the dll are not downloaded and origin wont download. could u plz help

Message 5 of 9 (1,068 Views)

@yellowbearmarch  Did you uninstall your original versions before downloading and installing the ones from Microsoft?  do you get exactly the same errors as the original poster, namely .dll files with the numbers 120 and/or 140?  There are a number of VC++ versions.  Origin requires the ones from 2010, 2013, and 2015; other games may use older or newer ones.

If you do get a different error, please either copy and paste the exact words here, or take a screenshot and attach it to a post.

Message 6 of 9 (1,052 Views)

★★ Novice

I have figured it out and was successfully able to download Origin and my games. Thank for the help though. I really appreciate that you help other gamers with your own time and u don’t have to do so.Standard smile

Message 7 of 9 (1,028 Views)

mscvp120

★★★ Newbie

after buying the game from origin i downloaded it and installed. the game shows mscvp120.dll file missing. i installed both vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86, it still shows the same message. pleaase help. 

Message 8 of 9 (941 Views)

Re: mscvp120

@priyanka00  Did you specifically download the 2013 versions of the VC++ runtimes?  The MSVCP120.dll is part of those, not any other version.  Please uninstall your existing copies, download and install new ones from Microsoft, restart your computer, and test.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Message 9 of 9 (906 Views)