Origin Client - Restricted Access Mode

by Straatford87

Original Post

Origin Client - Restricted Access Mode

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Restricted Access Mode requires Origin to have administrator privileges to download games and install updates.

On December 10 the "Restricted Access Mode” feature was added to Origin.

Turning on Restricted Access Mode prevents unauthorized changes to the Origin client and the game files on your computer. If it’s enabled on your EA Account, you’ll need to be logged in as an Administrator on your computer to download games, install updates, and make any changes to existing files.

Message 1 of 19 (7,139 Views)

Re: Origin Client - Restricted Access Mode

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Maybe this is the reason some people have problem with the new client. BTW, restricted access mode doesn't work when people are having problem with the Origin client can't communicate successfully with OriginClientService.exe and can't download or update games. Even when starting Origin in administrator mode, it'll keep showing error that it is not running under administrator mode when trying to enable that setting. But I guess if we disable the service in services control panel. It is actually running like in Restricted Access Mode all the time if we don't respond to the UAC request.

Message 2 of 19 (7,077 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I can't download or update any games. I also think it's related to this new feature. At least i hope so. Users with similar failures could never fix it. thx ea. plz stop origin and sell your games on a proper platform. i will never buy origin games again

Message 3 of 19 (7,032 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue now for WEEKS

I Cant download games i`ve purchased

I see EA and origin losing a lot of money this Christmas.

Why BUY if you cant play them

Message 4 of 19 (6,973 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Try set Origin Client Service to disabled using Services Control Panel or msconfig. That workaround seem to allow users with the same problems to download and install games.

Message 5 of 19 (6,948 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm having the same problem.  I have restricted access turned off and I still get errors about how Windows is blocking downloads.  I've tried re-installing client, running as administrator, etc.  I give up.  This is not worth the hassle.  I was only trying out the Access program and was able to download one game now I can't download anymore to try.  I was hoping EA had gotten better but they still suck!!

Message 6 of 19 (6,914 Views)

★★ Novice
@VRaverna Thanks worked on one game but this is not a long term solution Frown
Message 7 of 19 (6,885 Views)

★ Novice

apparently a feature i can't turn on.   i can't update Battlefield 5 or Star Wars Battlefront 2 or do a fresh install.  i can't install a recently purchased copy of Star Wars Fallen Order.  there are a few games that do run like Fifa 17 and Madden 19.  this is one hot mess.    i did a fresh re-install of Origin as well but still nothing

Message 8 of 19 (6,663 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@JohnSturtonA current fixed this issue by turning off origin services in "MSconfig>Services>Hide Microsoft services box and turn off Origin Client Service & Origin Web Helper Service" then restart PC.

For open MSconfig on windows 10 Use the keyboard shortcut “Windows Key + R” and the “Run” window will open. In the text box, write “msconfig” and press Enter or OK and the MsConfig window will open

Message 9 of 19 (6,580 Views)

★★ Novice

I sent you a direct email/message about a week ago Tom on this matter and that it was affecting around 2000 or so of my employees and you ignored it. I have banned Origin /EA anything from Comcast/COX/August /ECO BEE and about 6 other partners that I work with any of my employees caught using your services till further notice can be written up. Enjoy the hit in budget.

Message 10 of 19 (6,530 Views)