Origin Client - Move / Locate Installed Games

by benyIL1234560

Original Post

Re: Reinstalled Windows, now Origin doesn't recognize my installed games

★★ Novice
@Straatford87 this link you provide is not relevant to any games I have tried. Tired of EA and their antics while Steam continues to provide a more user friendly platform and one that actually functions as the developers and others describe.
TLDR: jump ship from EA to Steam
Message 441 of 462 (2,668 Views)

Re: Origin Client - Move / Locate Installed Games

★★★ Newbie

I had the same thing happen but instead, I have my Sims 4 files on my hard drive that took me a while to download and now in order to play it again, it says I didn't download it at all since it thinks that the files are/should be in my SSD.

Message 442 of 462 (2,575 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

10 years of development and they can't even fix basic problems. 

I have over 50 games on a network drive and I changed the library folder to point to it.   However, I still have to manually click on every game, press locate and wait for the check to finish.

Not only that it takes a full day to check all the files , but between every game checked I have to click on stupid dialogs ...

If I try to queue more than 1 game to be verified, Origin starts crashing all the time.  Only fix is to delete programdata folder . 

Is it so hard to make basic functionality work properly?  Will the new client fix anything or is it just the same trash code behind, but with a new shiny interface? 

Message 443 of 462 (2,215 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I believe that most of you are complaining about something without really not knowing how to do, or at least not reading the instructions carefully.

I've been playing Origin games for a long, long, loooong time. Specially The Sims, Mass Effect and others, and I have them saved in a different hard drive than my System. Every time I have to make some change I just point origin to that folder and I never had to download my games again. 

I also play Origin games on Mac using a External USB key, no problems at all. 

The secret for a good life is stop complaint and try to see if you really know what you're talking about, have you tried the solution or read the instructions. Easy like this! 

Message 444 of 462 (2,163 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Sounds easy enough. Except every time I do that, Origin insists on redownloading everything, and in the process wiping everything in the folder I tell it to go to in the "Locate" option. I've tried copying my entire redownloaded game folders and pasting them back but again, it wipes those folders every time. I (after four days of downloading one may get punch drunk and tired, I admit) accidentally pointed Origin to my saved (backup) game folder on my backup drive and sure enough it wiped the contents of those folders and once again tried to reinstall my games and the extra content. I wish it would work for me the way it obviously works for others.

But to assume that others, myself included, "don't know what we're going" or aren't reading the instructions carefully enough or to assume we are not following the instructions is simply a false assumption. 

That said, I'll go back to waiting the 2 days it takes to redownload one my games onto my new computer. I'm not sure I'll even bother to try to back them up again. To those of you in my situation, good luck.

Update: Well apparently for The Sims 3 the methods outlined here work perfectly.

1. Copied my entire Sims 3 installation folder into another folder named "My External Sims Games" on my external hard drive and renamed it "The Sims 3 Original."

2. Just in case Origin wiped it all, I created another Folder named "The Sims 3" and copied everything in the Sims 3 Original folder to it.   

3. Changed the installation folder in Origin to point to the folder (the new main folder, NOT the Sims 3 folder or the original folder) on the external drive.

4. Clicked download on the Sims 3 in my Library and, after "preparing" and "finalizing," Origin recognized all of it.

So, I stand corrected: for some games this works. But for the Sims 4, it was the redownload and verification cycle. If I had the time I would experiment with all the different scenarios. One more note, don't load Origin before having the external drive connected or it will start the redownload and verification cycle again.

Also, please forgive me if this is "Necroposting," but since the problem is still happening and people are still trying to work around it by posting here, I didn't think it was a true "Necropost." If I've broken any rules, please feel free to delete this post. Thanks to everyone who kindly posted their solutions here.

Message 445 of 462 (2,142 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same issue, it has always been a problem with origin! I really it! Its either cant log in, or my game isnt detected. It always says The game FIFA 21 does not appear to be installed. Please install it or try relaunching the game.

Usually what I do is re install the game that took a long time. 

Message 446 of 462 (2,115 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Nils I can't find my installed games in EA Desktop at all. ive installed a few games from my library and none of them are there
Message 447 of 462 (2,074 Views)

★★ Novice

Origin won't let me play hardline , "this account is in the wrong language " type nonsense , after trying to fix that by changing language settings and eventually deleting bf hardline in frustration . I then find that Origin doesn't recognise that BF5 is installed and using locate files just starts to re-download the game , though i have pointed it to the relevant folder. It's ridiculous ...and when asked if i'd recommend Origin to friends you can guess my inclination.

Message 448 of 462 (1,969 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had issue with an installed game due to less space in C drive.

So later moved the game file in D drive.

But now could not open game in EA play and it shows to download button instead of play.

To solve this issue, Please have an active internet connectivity

Download origin app and sign in with your EA id.

Go to My Game Library> Right click on the game icon>Locate game>Now select the new folder location of your game

Origin will verify and you are good to go!

Message 449 of 462 (1,759 Views)

Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

★★★ Newbie

No you can't. Origin wants you to buy the EA play. Reality check.

Message 450 of 462 (1,718 Views)