Re: Moving My Origin Games To Another Hard Drive

by BlazeToys

Original Post

Re: [HOW TO] Backup/restore Origin games

★★★ Newbie

To anyone stuck on "Resuming" after copying the game into the /origin games folder all you need to do ( that worked for me ) was go into the games "_intaller" folder and run the touchup.exe this fixed the "resuming" issue for me.

Message 210 of 462 (5,320 Views)

EA DICE Team

@KiloGx

That is very helpful - thank you for posting.

Message 211 of 462 (5,308 Views)

★★ Novice

This didn't work for me. Or you need space for the game and the theoretical download to start it. I moved BF1 to a new drive, changed the download directory, but couldn't start the download because I didn't have enough space. So I had to move the entire game back to another drive. Start the download, remove the files and move the entire game again. Took me a good 10-15 minutes, doing something that every * launcher out there can do.

EA, you truly are a meme company. Stop focusing on making Origin look pretty (it does, but it's horrible to use) and give it some basic features.

Message 212 of 462 (5,737 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

This worked for me, thanks.

Cheers!

Message 213 of 462 (5,414 Views)

Re: Reinstalled Windows, now Origin doesn't recognize my installed games

★ Novice

Heres an idea for Origin/EA/whoever,

Make an option in Origin to discover already downloaded games instead of having to do all this BS. Steam does it and UPLAY (Worst of any gaming program) does it. 

Message 214 of 462 (5,911 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Well..reading all the text that everyone put down can give a person a depression..

Introducing the new origin with the same flaw but with a new jacket:

Not recognizing the preferences given by the user when choosing download path INSIDE origin advanced options..(<---my problem AGAIN..great games from EA but simple coding for its own program called origin..is abysmal as people and myself have asked year after year since the beginning of origin...''FIX IT please'' ) why do we have to keep asking? are we such bad customers? i mean we do pay EA for games..so we do have the title of customer..or does it spell out ''miscreant'' on our heads?

before you ask..yes i am angry and extremely disappointed in the way EA treats this problem..''leave it to the community'' that is the same as ''oh the customers can search for the answers on their own'' its your programming it is your creation and its your responsibility, we as customers can only point out if there's a problem since the origin is designed for the customers as an easy to use game-holder it was not designed to teach the user how to program and code etc etc.

fix this problem once and for all... this has gone on long enough, i'm not going trough the forums again just to find yet another workaround just to be able to actually USE origin as it was designed..fix the problem.

make the program actually recognize the options given to it, when i select the download folder location to be J instead of its standard C and even after a restart origin still wants to go install on the standard disk C it is not recognizing the options given by the user within the program itself, if it did it would install to the specified location and not the standard location..this problem has been around for a long period with the only fix a complete workaround that does not include the use of the internal options of origin..the problem is consistent and has never been fixed.  

Message 215 of 462 (5,814 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hello @benyIL1234560

You can try this method:

1. Open Windows Explorer and create a folder in the new location where you’ll store your games.
  2. Head to your current Origin folder and find the folder for the game you want to move. Copy it to the new location, and delete the old files.
  3. Open Origin and head to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced. Under “Downloaded Games”, click the “Change” button and direct it to the folder on your new hard drive. Don’t worry, this only affects newly-installed games, so your current library will not be affected.
  4. Return to the “My Games” view and click the Download button to re-install the game. Instead of re-downloading the game (which could take hours), Origin will detect the existing files there and make any necessary minor changes. When it’s done, you should be able to play the game as usual.

If this won't help you, I advise you reinstall the game.  If you do not know how to change directory: Go to Origin>>Application Settings>>Installs & Saves.

Source

Message 217 of 462 (11,389 Views)

Origin - Moving Games to Another Hard Drive or System

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

The Move / Locate game feature was added in the Dec 17, 2018 client update

MOVING A GAME TO A NEW LOCATION

If you got a new computer or operating system, you can easily move your games from one location to another on your computer so you don’t have to redownload them.

When you’re moving games, only do one at a time. Moving more than one at the same time can cause issues.

To move your game files to a new place on your PC:

1. Find the game you want to move in your Game Library.
  2. Right-click the game tile and select Move game.
  3. Find the new folder where you want to move the game to.
  4. There are some restrictions to which folders you can use, but Origin will let you know if you can’t use the one you pick.
  5. Click Select Folder.

The game files will all automatically move to the new folder you’ve just selected. The game will then repair itself and make sure all files were moved over correctly. This might take some a little bit of time to do, but once it’s done you’ll be ready to play.

You’ll only be able to move games in this way if:

• the game is not currently in queue for download
  • you’re not currently playing the game
  • Origin is in online mode.
    • Make sure to stay online while you’re moving games. If Origin goes offline while a game is moving, the move will fail. You’ll have to manually locate the game on your computer using our steps to show Origin where the game is before you can try moving it again.

You can also only move games on PC, as this feature is not available on Mac.

Please note that some third-party games cannot be moved in this way.

LOCATING ONE OF YOUR GAMES

Need to help Origin find where one of your game’s files are located on your computer? You can tell Origin where to look so you don’t have to download all the files again.

Here’s how to do that:

1. Find the game you need to locate in your Game Library.
  2. Right-click the game tile and select Locate game.
  3. Find the folder where the game is located, then click Select Folder.

Origin will then find all the files it needs to redownload and install the game for you.

Happy gaming!

Message 218 of 462 (393,230 Views)

Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

★★★ Newbie

but when i had logged on to mine it didn't have my game in my library and then when i tried to redeem my code for sims4 it said its already been used so I'm confused as to what is happening 

Message 219 of 462 (5,473 Views)

Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

EA DICE Team

@9RL7-ZQUN-YCTT-9

Well,

I can see that you are on a new account, where you've tried to input your game code as your name. Please reach out to an Advisor and they will guide you through this:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/How-to-contact-EA-Help/td-p/5650100

Message 220 of 462 (5,468 Views)