Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

by RayStunna

Original Post

Re: Moving My Origin Games To Another Hard Drive

★★★★★ Novice

Update, I uninstalled and reinstalled Origin and my games instead. That worked perfectly. When I reinstalled Origin I saved it in my F drive, and in Origin itself all my games were waiting to be downloaded. Before I did, I made sure to change my download directory to my other hard drive. I downloaded The sims 4 and it works. I now have about 50GB on my C drive, compared to 9GB I was on yesterday, which is great.

Thank you very much for all your help and advice, and sorry if the moving folders technique didn't work for me. I don't know why that happened.

Message 90 of 462 (100,015 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

What about the warranty of some of the EA games that state that one can only re-install the game onese? such as the Origin download of Sims 3.

Message 91 of 462 (4,071 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@krag8472 wrote:

I just changed computers (in the process changed from Vista to Win 8.1) and when I transfered a game over from my old hard drive to the new one Origin would not recognize it as installed.

What I ended up doing was logging in to my Origin account online, selected a game in my library and started downloading it. As soon as it started to dowload data I would pause the download and then do the same for the next game in my library. When all the games in my library had downloaded a bit of data and were on pause I closed the Origin client and then transferred the contents of the folder for each game from my old hard drive to the game folders that Origin had created on my new computer's hard drive. Then I started Origin up again and one at a time I unpaused the downloads. It would take a minute or two and then the download would either show complete or it would download some additional data. Perhaps this was because there were updates from the version I had on my old computer. In the worst case Origin downloaded 300MB more data for a game. For about half of the games it downloaded nothing additional and the rest downloaded about 10-30Mb of data. Much better than having to download endless GBs of data to get my library back up and running.

THANKYOU SO MUCH!

I directed origin to where my games were installed when i was using my old OS ssd but it still wouldn't recognize them and my only option was to re-download all my games....

This worked flawlessly for me and saved me a whole lot of downloads so thanks again! :D

Message 92 of 462 (2,572 Views)

Re: [HOW TO] Backup/restore Origin games

★ Novice

post #27 works great

Message 93 of 462 (2,437 Views)

Re: Reinstalled Windows, now Origin doesn't recognize my installed games

★★★★ Novice

and yet there still isn't a fix. pathetic.

Message 94 of 462 (16,763 Views)

★★★ Newbie

when I log on to my account for origin I see the games but when I try to launch them they ask me for a code and I deleted the code from my email like 1 year ago and I don't know what to do help is needed

Message 95 of 462 (2,432 Views)

★★★ Newbie

for sims 3 only its asking for a code

Message 96 of 462 (2,430 Views)

Re: [HOW TO] Backup/restore Origin games

★★ Apprentice

For anyone backing up/restoring The Sims 3 and expansion packs you have no other choice, you will have to download The Sims 3 from Origin, run it once, and then you can copy/paste the expansion packs.  The other option I guess is backup The Sims 3 the first time you download it separately so you won't have to download it again when you need to restore it.

Message 97 of 462 (2,345 Views)

★★★ Newbie

In my Origin account it only shows Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff pack, and I tried transferring all of my files over via hard drive but it still tells me I don't have Sims 3 downloaded. I don't have a CD drive in my desktop to put my Sims 3 disk into my desktop. Frown Any ideas?

Message 98 of 462 (2,386 Views)

Re: Reinstalled Windows, now Origin doesn't recognize my installed games

★★★★★ Newbie

It's really a shame that this common option is not yet implemented in Origin. Reinstalling the OS can happen especially now changing to Windows 10.

Message 99 of 462 (15,940 Views)