Re: Moving My Origin Games To Another Hard Drive

by PurpleNightOwl

Original Post

Re: [HOW TO] Backup/restore Origin games

★ Novice

I just copied battlefield4 folder from a system running on windows7 64 bit and then the game folder was copied on another system running on win8.1 64 bit. At first It has installed but could not get the game working. Then I did a repair and worked. However I want to check if now I have any unnecessary files or registry entries (related to win7) since I copied the game from a different OS.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 80 of 462 (44,681 Views)

Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

★★★ Newbie

do you need the sims 4 disk to transfer your games to another computer

Message 81 of 462 (71,998 Views)

Moving My Origin Games To Another Hard Drive

★★★★★ Novice

Hello. I want to ask a question about Origin and some of the games I have.

I'm currently running low on space on my main hard drive (my C: drive) on my computer. About half of it has already been taken up with the OS and other stuff that was already on the computer when I first turned it on (I've not had it long). Currently, I have some Origin games and some other software on this drive, and I'm running out. Before it gets too late, I want to free up some space so I don't get any problems. I have a second hard drive (which was successfully installed after I brought the computer) which I have been meaning to use but I have been worried about transferring my games over there in case something goes wrong. I've got plenty of room on my second hard drive, nearly 2TB.

The only thing I want to move at the moment is Origin because it takes up a lot of my memory. The games I have is The Sims 3 (plus eight expansion packs and about five stuff packs), The Sims 4 (plus Outdoor Retreat game pack), and Bejeweled 3. I am keen to get this sorted out so I can install more games and content without having to worry about space.

I asked the same question on the official Sims forums, and I was directed to "Back up and restoring your Origin games", which seems very straight forward but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing is right before I do anything too drastic. I'm worried about messing up my games, or the computer, which I need for work.

I will be very grateful if anyone could help me with my enquiry. Sorry if my post is long.

Message 82 of 462 (106,127 Views)

EA Staff

Yes you can move your games to the second hard drive. Easiest way to do this is the following:

1. Make sure that the download directory in your Origin client reflects your desired location (Origin menu - Application Settings - Advanced).
  2. Start the download for the game, but pause it as soon as the progress bar appears.
  3. Move your game folder on your C drive to the newly created folder on your second hard drive

Just repeat the process for all your games and you should be good to go.

More info: http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Message 83 of 462 (106,107 Views)

Restore Games Library

★★★ Newbie

Hello,
I had to reinstall Origin and now I cant figure out how to get the games on my drive to register in the origin library. ( I keep the games on a separate HDD)

Message 84 of 462 (9,155 Views)

Re: Restore Games Library

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Make sure you have "Show: All Games" in MY GAMES selected. Have also a look at "Hidden Games" because manually hidden games will not appear in the "All Games" view.

Click on the "My Games tab" as shown in the screenshot below. After you have clicked that, you will see a button with an circle arrow on the left hand side (screenshot below). This is the "reload games" button. Click it, and you should now be able to see all the games registered to your account.

IMPORTANT. You change the download location in Application Settings -Advanced,in the place where you installed games.And then follow the steps above.

Retired champion.
Message 85 of 462 (9,148 Views)

Re: Restore Games Library

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

@shotgundzombie If you already have the games downloaded and installed on a secondary hard drive, then follow the steps below to avoid redownloading the games:

1. Make sure that the download directory in your Origin client reflects your desired location (Origin menu - Application Settings - Advanced).
  2. Start the download for the game, but pause it as soon as the progress bar appears.
  3. Move your game folder for the current location to the newly created folder on your second hard drive

More info: http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Message 86 of 462 (9,143 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OMG!!! Thank you so much!! it worked for me perfectly!! I made an Origin account and downloaded it to my new computer and it worked: thank you so much!Confusedmileyvery-happy:

@EA_Dennis wrote:

Heya, that's not hard at all Standard smile

All your games are tied to your Origin account and not the computer itself, so if you would like to play your games on another computer, simply download and install the Origin client, log in with the same Origin account that you were using before (there is no need to create a new one) and all your games will be sitting in your games library, just as they do now. From there you can download and install them again.

Let us know if that doesn't help or if there are any other questions. 

Message 87 of 462 (37,566 Views)

★★ Novice

I got the sims 4 job that i bought on origin and i do not see what you are talking about and when i go to the store it says add to cart and i also tried to get it on the sims 4 the game but it still did not work 

Message 88 of 462 (37,542 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately I tried this and it didn't work. I did everything you should do; I copied and pasted The Sims 3 and 4 folders to my other hard drive (I didn't cut and paste though, so the original files are still on the C drive), and I changed the download directory to my D drive. I don't think it registered though because my games didn't say to Download, just Play. I tested one of my saved games and it was working as normal (thankfully). Unfortunately when I went to install The Sims 4 Get to Work it failed to install. It worked when I changed the download directory back to the original, and I played it fine, but now my memory is desperately low.

My only other option is to uninstall Origin (and my games if necessary) and then reinstall and redownload all my games onto my other hard drive. Could you please tell me how I can do this safely (if you know what I mean) and take me through it step by step? Can you uninstall and reinstall Origin without having to uninstall the games individually? Please help like you did before, because I really appreciated the quick response to my cry of help. I don't want to mess up my computer because I use it for work as well as games.

Thank you very much.

P.S. I don't mind if I lose my saved games. I just want to play my games without worrying about lack of memory space.

Message 89 of 462 (106,079 Views)