Re: [HOW TO] Backup/restore Origin games

by JorgitoYokiro

Original Post

★★ Novice

thanks for the reply, but i figured it out rite after i posted the question.

Message 40 of 462 (131,155 Views)

Community Manager

To add on to this guide here is how you can change the desired installation folder for any future game installs:

1. Open the Origin Client
  2. Click on Origin (top left corner) > Application Settings
  3. Now select the Advanced tab
  4. Under Downloaded Games you can now click the "Change..." button in order to find a new destination folder for any future installations for your Origin games.
Message 41 of 462 (10,602 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, Thanks for sharing this nifty trick. It's funny how this should not be part of the Origin client. With today's pace in PC technology, it is inevitable to be upgrading to newer systems from time to time. Anyway, I did the steps and the one thing I did not do was resume the downloads. When you open the Origin client, it will automatically try to resume. So my games were detected and are now back to their working state. Thanks again!

Message 42 of 462 (10,474 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I don't understand why Origin doesn't have an automatically back up / restore system like Steam.

How can I restore an origin game in non-program files directory?

Look I want a Origin game back up and restore to H:\ , how can do this?

Message 43 of 462 (10,415 Views)

Community Manager

@arvinoids You are welcome. I am sure this would make a great addition for the future, but I am not aware of the current plans for implementation.

@JorgitoYokiro I am still slightly confused, can you re-state exactly what you are trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to make a back up of an existing installation or are you trying to move your games from one folder to another?

Message 44 of 462 (10,413 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Nils I'm asking a backup/restore option like Steam to do this work more easily, not manually.

Message 45 of 462 (10,409 Views)

★★★ Novice

Was just looking around for an option like this on the client to no avail... this should definitely be implemented.

Specially since the installers are deleted EVEN though I specified for them to not be deleted which was quite dissapointing. Why provide an option to not delete the installers if it is going to be ignored entirely.

Message 46 of 462 (10,343 Views)

Community Manager
Hi guys,

I have passed this on as a feature request. Please note that this does not mean that it will be implemented, but the team will at least consider it for feasibility and prioritization.

Cheers,
Nils
Message 47 of 462 (10,340 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hopefully it will.

To download over 16 GB's of files to see them disappear after having specified to not delete the files was just too upsetting. And this is just one game...

Now the only option to actually not have to download everything would be a backup function :robotwink:

I personally haven't tried the steps mentioned in this thread but it shouldn't have to be that complicated.

If only the "Keep game installers after games have been installed" option had actually worked :robotfrustrated:

Message 48 of 462 (10,325 Views)

Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

★★★ Newbie

Hey I know this is an old forum, but do games acquired through "On the House" play by the same rules as ones just bought the normal way? Or will I have to re-buy those if I want to play them on another system?

Message 49 of 462 (9,385 Views)