Re: Can I transfer my origin games to a new computer?

by jernic

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

That part isnt hard, but the main problem when moving from one PC to another isnt downloading the client, its haveing to redownload the game.

I usually ask people who are coming from a different country to download games for me and bring them on an external harddisk, because in my country like in many many others around here the max conneciton you can get is 1mb. and you have a 5-15gb download limit per month.

Which makes the system impossible unless you can easily have someone download the game on a fast connection back it up and give it to you.

This is why Steam is superior.

I'm hoping Origin has a similar system, otherwise you're just encouraging poeple to pirate your games, its a far simpler and cheaper solution.

Message 10 of 462 (203,595 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having the same "transferring games to a new computer issue" that the original poster had; this is also tied to the last posters issue - I live in the sticks - I have a download limit and cannot download the game myself. I got it for Christmas, but cannot download it. Cabn someone download it onto a flash drive using my origin account and send it to me?

Message 11 of 462 (179,977 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem but i have all the games in a old hard disk in slave mode. I cannot execute them even with the origin online, i tried to move them at the new hard disk (where windows is now) but with the same result, i have to redownload it. Theres no a way to say to origin where is the instalation folder of the game and that it dont need to redownload? I have no internet now, and i want to play. Any solution? thanks.

Btw if you execute the fifa.exe it says that you dont have origin installed, dosent matter that you have the origin running.

Message 12 of 462 (179,347 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just changed computers (in the process changed from Vista to Win 8.1) and when I transfered a game over from my old hard drive to the new one Origin would not recognize it as installed.

What I ended up doing was logging in to my Origin account online, selected a game in my library and started downloading it. As soon as it started to dowload data I would pause the download and then do the same for the next game in my library. When all the games in my library had downloaded a bit of data and were on pause I closed the Origin client and then transferred the contents of the folder for each game from my old hard drive to the game folders that Origin had created on my new computer's hard drive. Then I started Origin up again and one at a time I unpaused the downloads. It would take a minute or two and then the download would either show complete or it would download some additional data. Perhaps this was because there were updates from the version I had on my old computer. In the worst case Origin downloaded 300MB more data for a game. For about half of the games it downloaded nothing additional and the rest downloaded about 10-30Mb of data. Much better than having to download endless GBs of data to get my library back up and running.

Message 13 of 462 (177,819 Views)

Anonymous

In some cases you indeed need to download certain updates after restoring the game. I think this

is because of the way some games store and register an update. Games (in my list) I know that still update

after reinstalling are BFBC2 and MOH2010. Only small updates thought.

Message 14 of 462 (13,917 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have logged into my Origin account and tried to download the games on our new laptop, as we could not get them to work on my Mac. They show as already downloaded and will not let us download them again. Meanwhile, they have never worked on my Mac. Please help, my duaghter has been very patienct with me since Christmas, but I am getting really frustrated.

Thank you!

Kate 

Message 15 of 462 (13,854 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The issue here is that you might have only purchased the MAC only versions. You should lodge a request to have them converted to PC versions with Origin. It will require you to redownload the new versions again though.

Message 16 of 462 (13,838 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm sorry but your "solution" seems a tad murky. Are you implying that by your method a user does NOT have to re-download all their previously purchased EA games ? If so, please outline the specific process to transfer all EA games to a new (ssd) hd.  Thank you.

Message 17 of 462 (13,710 Views)

Message 18 of 462 (13,708 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey, i have sim city 5 and it has an access code, i transfered my account and logged in on the other computer, yet it wont accept the access code because it has already been used

Message 19 of 462 (13,221 Views)