Download Failed - Oops... Windows blocked our attempt to download game content

by DarrenBH

Original Post

Origin Client - Download Paused / Waiting for Permission

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

You've let us know you are experiencing a "Download Paused" or "Waiting for Permission" error when updating your games. We are investigating this for you.

To help us investigate, please create an Origin Error Report and reply in this topic with your Report ID.

Here are current workarounds to get you back into your games:

• Type CMD in Windows search bar
  • Right-click Command Prompt, select Run as administrator
  • Copy paste the below command lines one by one, and press enter:

del c:\windows\syswow64\config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming\origin\telemetry\data

del c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\origin\telemetry\data

Note: please fill in your computer username in the bold part on the second line. Also make sure Origin isn't running, or you won't be able to remove the files.

Please let us know if that does the trick!

Thank you,

Message 73 of 209 (10,715 Views)

Download Failed - Oops... Windows blocked our attempt to download game content

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Update 2>> Looks like a clean boot solved it.  https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc Therefore it makes sense why Safe Mode worked.  Some other service/startup routine is messing up Origin.  I'll try to find out which service/app it is and will update this post if I do.  I hope this helps others.

Update>> It seems to work fine in Safe Mode with Networking.  I would sure love an explanation as to why that is.  I shouldn't have to restart into safe mode every time I want to download a new game.

I have followed all the articles on this issue and nothing is working.  I have even resorted to allowing beta versions of the application.

My setup:

RAM: 64GB DDR4

CPU: i7 7700K

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Drivers fully updated, version 441.66)

Origin version: 10.5.56.33908 - 0

Things I have tried:

• Ran CCleaner
  • Clearing Origin Cache leaving LocalContent
  • Clearing Origin Cache deleting LocalContent
  • Running as Administrator
  • Creating new local admin user and running as normal as well as administrator
  • Uninstalled all games that were installed by Origin
  • Uninstalling the easy way
  • Uninstalling the hard way
  • Reinstalling with the thick client instead of the thin client
  • Setting UAC to the lowest setting
  • Allowing Beta version
  • Rebooting after each attempt

Other notes:

• After reinstall, the games list takes a really long time (on the order of 10-20 minutes) to show anything on the games library tiles, but once it does, I'm getting the "Download Failed -- Oops" message.
  • Once games list shows, attempting to force an update on a game that requires an update results in the download being paused with the message "Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission.  Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission." -- Windows never prompts me for permission.
  • Origin.com lists all my games just fine.
  • I am not running any antivirus software aside from the built-in Windows Defender.
  • I am not running any proxy.
  • I am not running any VPN client.
  • I am a software engineer in my day job.  I know what goes into creating applications like this.  I wish Origin would run better, faster, cleaner -- it simply doesn't.  Instead of a native application, it's a native wrapper around a website.  Fully uninstalling and reinstalling should allow for everything to reset appropriately, but yet this software does no such thing, it seems.

Screenshots (also attached to this thread):

Any help would be appreciated.  It seems that Origin is just simply unable to work.  I paid for a year of Premier, I would like to be able to use it.

Message 1 of 209 (10,428 Views)

Unable to Download Games on Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I recently reinstalled Origin and since reinstalling I have been unable to download games. Every time I try to download a game I get the message:

"Your download has been paused

Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission.

Help us improve Origin by submitting an error report."

Despite what it says, Windows is yet to prompt me for permission. I have tried restarting Origin with administrator privileges, changing UAC settings to "Never Notify", and reinstalling Origin. But none of these have worked.

Message 2 of 209 (10,412 Views)

Re: Unable to Download Games on Origin

Community Manager

Hey @NotSpoderman28 can you also ensure that your firewall and anti-virus are not blocking Origin and that you also have the ports for Origin open.

The ports to open are:

• TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

You can also try turning off the routers firewall to see if it helps.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 209 (10,394 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm having a similar issue. Windows 10 has all current updates; drivers are up to date as well. My antivirus/firewall/security allows Origin to make changes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Origin, but I still receive the message and no window to allow shows up. What would have changed since the last update? Are ports somehow closed? (I'm not savvy enough to know how to check that.)Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 209 (10,352 Views)

★★★ Novice

yeah.. i did all that and still same problem. I also turned off UAC and ran as admin. Everything worked fine before windows updated. 

Message 5 of 209 (10,351 Views)

Failure to download

★★★ Newbie

I just recently bought a new sims 4 expansion pack, every time I try to go to play my game it says it needs to update. So I then try to update the game however it says "Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when windows prompts you for permission. However I am not getting any prompts from windows.

Message 6 of 209 (10,349 Views)

Sims 4 Won't Update (Windows)

★★★ Newbie

Won't let me update Sims 4 says that my windows should give me a popup message that will allow it, and I have tried everything. I still can't get my update to work.

Message 7 of 209 (5,286 Views)

Origin Client - Your download has been paused / Waiting for permission

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have had sims 4 for a little while on my laptop and used it just last night. I have an Hp Omen laptop. I went to open it and it says needs update. I tried to update it and it keeps automatically pausing at preparing. I uninstalled the entire game and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling origin. I click on download the game and it automatically pauses and then this pops up.

Your download has been paused
Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission.

Help us improve Origin by submitting an error report.

No window pops up asking me for permission at all. I haven't changed any settings or anything. It just won't do anything. I have even tried putting my firewall completely down and it didn't make a difference. Please help.
Message 8 of 209 (10,314 Views)

★ Guide

I just went in to play the Sims 3, which I played 24 hours ago, and Origin says it needs to update (pretty much every single day) and then it stops and says it's a critical update and I'm offline. Obviously I'm not. It's pretty obvious that something "critical" is going on with them and they aren't able to provide the service they are supposed to and it has nothing to do with users. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents because I'm also having issues and what I'm trying to do is much different from what you're trying to do.

Message 9 of 209 (9,527 Views)