Re: Origin - 4K Scaling

by Straatford87

Original Post

★ Novice

If you havn't already done so, for all Windows 10 users, You should turn on the Blur correction feature for scaling in the Windows 10 system settings.  You can find the setting located in Start<Settings<System<Display<Advance Scaling Settings, and then tick the On button, for Let Windows try and fix apps so they're not blurry.  This setting should help get rid of the blurriness of certain applications in Windows 10.  Hope this helps.

Message 251 of 288 (1,747 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Confirmed as well, it has finally been fixed. And no blurriness issues. Even when manually setting the Zoom level (in Origin View menu) to 200%, text is perfectly crisp. Box art slightly less so, but still acceptable.

Besides how ridiculously long this took, I also have to say communication about this issue was absolutely terrible. Why is it so difficult to at least confirm the issue is on the todo list, and provide a status update once in a while? (And this question will probably be ignored as well...)

Message 252 of 288 (1,723 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Straatford87 

I'm still having issues with blurry text, too.

Running Origin on a 5K monitor.

Oririn_still_blurry_at_5k.png

Message 253 of 288 (1,637 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Straatford87
Zoom level is correct now but the text is indeed blurry! I'd upload a picture, but my comment was marked as spam with the screenshot appended.
Message 254 of 288 (1,688 Views)

★★ Novice

@Straatford87 

This 'fix' in latest client 10.5.37.24524 - 0 has broken scaling for me, rather than fixed it. Before this latest client update Origin was DPI aware for me and ignored the 300% windows DPI scaling and showed at 100% on my 4k screen Now, i get a massive screen that is far too large in Origin... if i remove windows DPI at 300% and change to 100% then Origin looked like it did before the upgrade - but all other programs (i.e. Windows!) are too small.

As others have posted, I can fix this by setting DPI scaling by 'Application' (as opposed to system) in compatibility settings for Origin.exe - but this then throws the warning on boot of Origin that I am in compatibility mode.

Message 255 of 288 (1,664 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87 

sure here is a screenshot Desktop Screenshot 2019.04.17 - 18.59.27.51.png

Message 256 of 288 (1,657 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Xaviar2099 wrote:

If you havn't already done so, for all Windows 10 users, You should turn on the Blur correction feature for scaling in the Windows 10 system settings.  You can find the setting located in Start<Settings<System<Display<Advance Scaling Settings, and then tick the On button, for Let Windows try and fix apps so they're not blurry.  This setting should help get rid of the blurriness of certain applications in Windows 10.  Hope this helps.

@R1SING_ST4R 

While this fix was specific for 4K scaling, I'm not sure of the effects on 5K. Regardless, could you try the steps in the above quoted post?

@Headshot0013 @chad210476 

Thanks for the additional information. To double-check, could you also try steps as listed in @Xaviar2099's quote?

Message 257 of 288 (1,608 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Straatford87 

Hi Tom,

This setting is already applied for me...  it's not blurry with or without the setting...  it's the scale - it's not DPI aware so is scaling to 300% as per the Windows setting...  whereas before Origin would ignore Windows and run at 100% (where it was fine).

I tested this by downloading the previous version again, and turning off Windows Compatibility settings for Origin.Exe - rebooting and starting Origin - all was back to normal...  of course I could not keep that setting as you have enforced I must update to latest version or stay in offline mode...  after having to update - back to a massive Origin screen again - so back to compat settings, and back to a warning when I open Origin...   but Windows scaling by application then does work...

Not an expert - tried compat mode off, and use Origin scaling down to 25% but everything is a mix of blocky text and pixels....   windows smoothing doesnt fix it.

Hope that helps

Message 258 of 288 (1,603 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the exact same issues as chad210476. I've only got a 1920x1080 screen, but I have Windows' display at 125%. Before this latest update, Origin displayed correctly. Now after updating today, Origin appears too large and blurry. I can make it look normal again by changing the DPI compatibility settings when right clicking on the program and selecting "Properties" > "Compatibility", but now Origin throws up its "compatibility mode" message whenever I launch it.

Message 259 of 288 (1,553 Views)

★★ Novice

Scaling is working now but even with the advanced scaling option in windows, the text is definitely unsharp and blurry.

Look at the attachment and compare the text from windows explorer and origin.

Origin looks like before with the "workaround", the text is just zoomed and not scaled correctly.

Yeah it is readable now but this is the worst implamentation you can do!

After years of waiting this is still extremely disappointing!

But thanks for doing a little step in the right direction... looks like someone in the development got finaly a 4K screen. Large smile

Message 260 of 288 (1,546 Views)