[Origin 10] Solution for Scaling / Sizes Issues

by Der_Lieber

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Origin 10] Solution for Scaling / Sizes Issues

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I can only see about 1/4 of the screen on my home page in Origin. It is the upper left 1/4. So I can't interact with anything not in that quarter. This happened after I downloaded an update.

Message 59 of 144 (49,279 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: scaling of game icons in game Library

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hello everyone,

UPDATE: make sure that the size for text on your screen isn't set above 100%.

If you are experiencing issues with the Origin 10 client being too large on your screen then you can resolve this in the following manner:

• Origin is already installed:
    • Go to Origin -> Application Settings -> Application and turn on “Participate in Origin client betas”. Now restart Origin.
  • Unable to install Origin (and can’t install because install window is too big):
  • Further scaling options are available via View -> Zoom.

Please reach out to me if there are any further questions regarding this.

View in thread

Message 103 of 144 (42,384 Views)

All Replies

Windows 10 Full hd laptop

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Program ver Wersja 10.0.1.30958 - 489710
I want to report a Bug.
I have dell Inspiron 15 7559 Laptop has Full HD display. Because every thing is too small,  i use Windows scale proportion in display settings. After update origin acces program dont scale properly. Is far too big 

Message 1 of 144 (49,145 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Full hd laptop

★★★ Novice

I too am scaled to 150% in Win 10's DPI settings and I am unable to get the new Origin client to fill the screen properly.  I've used the Origin "zoom" option and even zoomed to 75% the client still spills over my viewable space.  Please fix EA.  Not sure how this wasn't tested in development with all the different screen and devices (Surface) using DPI scaling.

Message 2 of 144 (49,121 Views)

★ Apprentice

Speaking as someone running Windows 10 in UHD (3840x2160) resolution on a 28" monitor where the display settings are already scaled up at 150%, I can attest to this latest example of brain dead UI design that NEVER should have happened.  Origin's windowed mode can NOT be resized to any smaller than over 25% of the UHD screen resolution I'm running at.  This means, even at its smallest size, it's still bigger than a Blu-ray movie at full resolution!

Message 3 of 144 (49,111 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice
Message 4 of 144 (49,084 Views)

DPI ISSUES? - HERE IS A WORKAROUND... to get the correct origin client size

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Is  the size of your new origin client too big and 'Maximize' isn't sized correctly?
I know this feeling.... because I use a 150% dpi in windows 10 - and the new origin client sucks without the following changes. Windows compatibility options doesn't work - You get a message from origin client, that they are active, but that's all what's happening)

Try this workaround:
It works to get a normal dpi with the new origin client.

1. Click winkey + r
  2. Type: regedit and press enter
  3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide
  4. Right-click the right pane and choose NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value.
  5. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
  6. Right-click PreferExternalManifest and click 'modify'.
  7. Enter value data '1' (standard is 0) and select 'Decimal' on the right side (standard hexa) - click ok.

Now you need a manifest in your origin directory!

1. Download the 'Origin.exe.manifest' from HERE - or from the ATTACHMENT (you must delete the .txt-ending) - or write your own with google's help
    [Edit: The content of the manifest and a few instructions are shown below - you can also (strg+)left-click the attachment to read the manifest file in your browser]
  2. Add the downloaded 'Origin.exe.manifest' to your origin directory. For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin"

Start your origin client and are happy with a normal client size Cool

Info: This works individually with each application and not only with origin. All you need is the manifest file with the name of your application.exe(.manifest)

---------------------------

UPDATE 1 [15.09.16]
It is important that you turn off the compatibility settings - And do not mark 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. (It ignores your manifest) 

UPDATE 2 [15.09.16]
There was a origin update... but with no change.
And it has triggered/shown another problem:

You must restart origin after this update - otherwise you have the old dpi bug, because the launcher is loaded by another origin application with win-dpi (the installer/updater)

Solution for this: Create a duplicate of your manifest file and rename it with the other few origin applications like 'OriginClientService', 'OriginCrashReporter', 'OriginThinSetupInternal' and so on and on... you can see these exe files in you origin folder.
There is no need for more extra regedits, you only need a new manifest file for the used origin application.

>
This solution is only for people who doesn't want to restart origin after future updates (until there is a official bug fix) <

UPDATE 3 [15.09.16]
I've added the manifest file to the attachments. You need to delete the .txt-ending. (This was the only way to upload it as a attachment)
Right-click and save - or press left-click to view

Message 5 of 144 (50,671 Views)

Re: DPI ISSUES? - HERE IS A WORKAROUND... to get the correct origin client size

★★★ Novice

Could you explain more about the part where we write our own with Google's help?  I don't know anything about manifest files and of course I'm leery about downloading unknown files.  What exactly is inside the manifest file? 

Would this get tripped for hacking Origin and possibly cheating?

Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 144 (50,628 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Create a txt file with your editor applikation and fill it with code.(editor > save as > set the codec below the filename to utf-8) Then rename it, delete the .txt-end and add .manifest
This is the content of the used manifest file:
(It's maybe not perfect but it works)

UPDATE: I'd recommend the attachment-file or the dl file, because these files are ready and without codec-, format- or text errors.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
      version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
      publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
      language="*">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
      version="9.0.21022.8"
      processorArchitecture="amd64"
      publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel
        level="asInvoker"
        uiAccess="false"/>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
  <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

Writing DPI-Aware Desktop and Win32 Applications [Microsoft]

Google Search - 'dpi manifest'

btw: wow... nice one EA! Smilies in code format. *clap*
The smilie Confused is : s (without space)

Message 7 of 144 (50,620 Views)

★★★ Novice

Awesome!  Thank you for all the info.  I was searching for Origin manifest files instead of DPI. (doh!)

Message 8 of 144 (50,617 Views)

★★ Apprentice

No problem...^^
You need the right question to get the right answer. :D

Message 9 of 144 (50,610 Views)