ORIGIN FAILURE - ERROR "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file you might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

by 0nlybomb

Original Post

ORIGIN FAILURE - ERROR "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file you might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

★★★ Newbie

After Origin updated when i logged into BF3, it just stopped when I tried to relaunch thye item I got

"windows cannot access the specified device, path or file you might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I reinstalled origin, still nothing, I manually erased all aspects of origin still nothing when I reinstall I just get the same message.

I need a solution, and/or an email address to complain.

Message 1 of 16 (13,544 Views)

Re: ORIGIN FAILURE - ERROR "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file you might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

★★★ Newbie

additional - I am the system adminstator.

Message 2 of 16 (13,484 Views)

Re: ORIGIN FAILURE - ERROR "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file you might not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

★★ Novice

If  this is in windows 7, that already answers part of the problem. Try right clicking on icon, and select run as administrator. This should bring up a security prompt of sorts, just allow it to work.

If run as administrator works, right click on application/shortcut, select properties, switch to Compatibility tab, and check the Run this program as administrator option under Priviledge Level.

Depending on the severity of the issue, this may be a full solution, or you might wind up having to confirm program operation everytime it boots.

If the latter option is true, or worse still, operation still fails, issues's probably something else. For instance, you might have an issue with a certain driver or some other program. In which case, all I can suggest doing is trying to isolate the culprit somehow.

I wish you luck in your attempts to make things work.

-Caith42

Message 3 of 16 (13,484 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This didnt change anythingthe same error pops up. And a few minutes later origin.exe gets deleted and the shortcuts stop working. Then I reinstall and when origin.exe come back the same problems exsists. 

Message 4 of 16 (13,051 Views)

★★ Novice

This is utter crap. Ive been trying to play this game for well over 3 weeks now, and the autoupdate kills it. I cant run the Origin installer from disk without getting some sort of error trying to log me in, I cant install BF3 at all, let alone run it. I think I want my money back.

Message 5 of 16 (12,885 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem as jason - the origin.exe file disappears from the c drive

Message 6 of 16 (12,500 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Changing permissons doesnt help because there is no origin.exe file to right click on. I think the update some how deletes. Can you just release a full copy of origin rather than a thin setup?

Message 7 of 16 (12,471 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I am still having this issue (running on windows 7). Uninstall/install Origin won't work.

Origin is the only program on my drive that won't work.

I have this problem for about 6 months now. THe only solution that works for me is to run origin from a zip file.

But installing will never work, it will either keep on updating when origin is launched and do nothing after the update, or when using the thin setup it will give me the same error as the topic starter and then it removes origin.exe.

EA should really stop making software, they just can't...

6 monhts now, still no fix.

Message 8 of 16 (12,152 Views)

Hero (Retired)

This error can happen for several reasons; insufficient permissions, network connections, missing or corrupt files or even because a file or folder is being blocked by Windows or by your antivirus application. See the KB link in this post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/error-windows-cannot-access-the-spe...

Please accept solutions if they are correct and press the XP button if somebody helped you.

Message 9 of 16 (12,143 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have had this same exact error for almost 2 weeks now and haven't found a solution!  Need help PLEASE!

Message 10 of 16 (12,057 Views)