New laptop doesn't have origin on it at all yet but it won't let me download

by BerryS92

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New laptop doesn't have origin on it at all yet but it won't let me download

★★★ Newbie

I have an Origin account already, but I just bought a new laptop. I tried to play a game but Origin won't download, it says I am missing the VCRUNTIME140.dll and the MSVCP140.dll it says reinstalling the program may fix this problem, but since this laptop is new there are no Origin files on it yet as it hasn't been installed yet? Please help!

Message 1 of 8 (722 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: New laptop doesn't have origin on it at all yet but it won't let me download

@BerryS92  Those files are part of the 2015 VC++ runtimes, which Origin needs to install properly.  It's best to uninstall your current copies, if you have any, and then download new ones from Microsoft.  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, click on both the x86 and x64 entries (if you have them), and select Uninstall.  You can download new copies here. Be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Restart your computer, and try to install Origin again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (673 Views)

All Replies

Re: New laptop doesn't have origin on it at all yet but it won't let me download

@BerryS92  Those files are part of the 2015 VC++ runtimes, which Origin needs to install properly.  It's best to uninstall your current copies, if you have any, and then download new ones from Microsoft.  Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, click on both the x86 and x64 entries (if you have them), and select Uninstall.  You can download new copies here. Be sure to install both the x86 and x64 versions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Restart your computer, and try to install Origin again.

Message 2 of 8 (674 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It worked! Thank you so much your instructions were so simple and easy to follow!

Message 3 of 8 (630 Views)

★ Novice

I'm so glad I found this thank you so much! It worked!

Message 4 of 8 (480 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Now I'm having the same problem w/ OBS do I do the same thing? Thank you
Message 5 of 8 (462 Views)

@RedTheExoVet  Are you saying OBS won't install, or that you can't run Origin when OBS is open?  If this is just a matter of installing OBS, it looks like the program uses the updated (2019) versions of the same runtimes.  I'm not sure why they're not getting updated automatically, but you can download them from Microsoft as well:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

I think you should be able to simply download the 2015-2019 versions, both x86 and x64, and run them over the top of your current ones.  If not, uninstall the 2015 runtimes and then install the newer versions.

If you have a different issue, please describe it in more detail.

Message 6 of 8 (452 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict OBS is already downloaded its when I try to open OBS it brings up the same messages as origin did. I already fixed the origin and it's working now.
Message 7 of 8 (441 Views)

@RedTheExoVet  If manually updating to the latest VC++ runtimes doesn't fix the OBS issue, you'll need to ask on an OBS forum.  I don't use the app, so I can't really help beyond what I already did, which was basically google to see which runtimes OBS uses and suggest you install those.

Message 8 of 8 (428 Views)