Need a VPN to download games

by itsMxtch

Original Post

Need a VPN to download games

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi,

Since a while, I cannot mention the exact timeframe as I haven't used Origin for a while, I have to use a VPN in order to download any game from my libary. Even though my network is fine and I can download other games on other platforms such as Steam, Battle.net or uPlay, my download speed (without VPN) is limited to 100kb ~ more or less.

After connecting to a VPN I have no issues downloading at full speed. Though, I can play games on Origin like Battlefield 4 & 5 without VPN. I tried several topics, youtube movies and other threads going as deep as the root folder of where Origin is installed but nothing helped.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue? Like I said, I pretty much tried everything that's on the web for as far as I know.

Also, please don't come up with that it is a ISP issue while it clearly isn't. I have no issues anywhere else but with Origin, it's lame to shove this onto me and other people by saying you have to contact your ISP.

Message 1 of 10 (1,308 Views)

Re: Need a VPN to download games

Community Manager

Hey @itsMxtch where is it that you are located?

Generally, if you need to use a VPN to download a game then there is either a regional restriction or an issue with your network or ISP.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,275 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Darko Hi,

I’m located in the Netherlands. I refuse to believe it is either regional or a issue with my ISP.

I have no issues with my ISP ever, not with downloading games on other platforms, not with anything else that is related to my ISP.

Message 3 of 10 (1,271 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @itsMxtch I am not seeing any other reports of this issue and in the past when the issue has popped up it has almost always been network or ISP related.

Are you able to try to download the game on another network or ISP to see if you have the same issue?

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 4 of 10 (1,265 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_DarkoHi,

I can’t download using another network or ISP. After looking up this specific forum I have seen multiple other reports of having the same issue. However, they were all answered with the same illogical response that it is to blame their ISP. Which is also the reason most threads bleed out as no one from EA really takes a look on this ignoring issue.

I simply refuse to believe it always is the ISP while there are legit no other issues with the ISP whatsoever but on Origin.

Message 5 of 10 (1,261 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @itsMxtch as I said above, this issue is almost always related to network or ISP issues.

I double-checked and I am not seeing any other reports of this from your country, as such the issue you are most likely seeing is network or ISP-based. 

The best thing to do is to go through the basic connection troubleshooting steps and speak with your ISP: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 10 (1,256 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Darko Man,

It has nothing to do with my ISP. What do you want me to ask them? They can’t do anything as it’s a EA-sided issue. This forum is full of threads with the same issue, with different ISP’s and yet here you are failing to admit it’s EA’s fault and that you will look into it.

Get your servers fixed, get your client fixed.
Message 7 of 10 (1,253 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @itsMxtch if you are not willing to try the steps I suggest then I'm sorry to say but there is nothing more that I can do to assist you.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 8 of 10 (1,251 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Darko I already tried. But feel free to continue blaming the ISP.
Message 9 of 10 (1,249 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @itsMxtch I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as we are going around in circles.

As I stated above, I took a look and am not seeing any other reports of this issue from your country atm.

In the past when this issue has popped up it has been fixed through basic troubleshooting and ISP action.

Just because other things work does not mean that all is well, I tested this by setting my own VPN to your country and have no issue downloading games. That you can fix the issue with a VPN further points to the issue you are having as being network or ISP-based.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 10 of 10 (1,239 Views)