Multiple "Prohibited" names

by Smil3OD

Original Post

Multiple "Prohibited" names

★★ Novice

Hello, I need help with my name change. This might be a bug in Origin, or on EA's side. I used to go by the name of Smile_3OD but I changed my account name temporary. A week ago, I tried renaming myself back to Smile_3OD but it keeps saying that the name is "Prohibited". I contacted EA about it, they requested my accounts Email and tried manually changing it, but it didn't want to work. Normal names like Shark_3OD, Grin_3OD, and Reaper_3OD also don't work. I'm sure that the "_3OD" part isn't probihited anywhere because a few of my other friends have the tag in their names. Coould that be a bug in the system? I'm not sure why any of the names above are considered prohibited, especially since they aren't breaking any guidelines. 

I tried typing "3OD" with a 0, I tried typing "Smile" with an lowercase L, uppercase i, and many more variations, but none of them work, they are all apparently "prohibited". Any explanation is welcome. For now I'm using the name of Smil3OD until the problem gets fixed. 

Message 1 of 8 (1,218 Views)

Re: Multiple "Prohibited" names

★★ Novice

Update 1:
EA has reached out to me with a following Email:

Thank you for contacting EA Help. My name is Kunal and I would assist you with Origin issue today.

I have reviewed your email and it seems that you have an issue with using a name I'll do my best to address your concern.

Team has advised to use different Origin ID as we not able to confirm what is prohibited in names as of now.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. I would be glad to help.

I honestly think this is quite funny. I'd completely understand if the name has something that would make sense to be forbidden, but having a system in place that falsely flags a name as "Prohibited" for no logical reason is beyond my plain of existance or my thought process. I'd highly recommend to either disable the system that causes the issue until it is fixed, or don't have one in the first place. By the way, there's something with e_3OD that is forbidden, because Smil3OD works fine. Smile_4OD also works fine. I saw that someone else had the exact same issue like I do and the excuse was the same. "Use a different Origin ID" I'm actually really displeased with the fact that such a simple problem can't be fixed. What really pisses me off is that all this time contacting EA was quite, literally, useless. There was no explanation for my problem, and no solution to my problem apart from "Use a different ID". A few months ago I could use "Smile_3OD" without an issue, but now it's magically prohibited. Please, if someone from EA sees this, fix the issue. The fact that I can't use my name anymore because of no logical reason is quite infuriating.

Message 2 of 8 (1,121 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Smil3OD if a username is not accepted then all you can do is try a variation of it or pick another username.

No one at EA can override the system to allow you to use a prohibited name.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 8 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello Darko.

The fact that you wrote that makes me think you didn't even read the 1st post that I wrote, so let me quote myself here. "I tried typing "3OD" with a 0, I tried typing "Smile" with an lowercase L, uppercase i, and many more variations, but none of them work, they are all apparently "prohibited"." The fact that the name is prohibited is honestly quite stupid.

What in "Smile_3OD" is prohibited? It's not a swear word, it's not anything racist or nacionalist or anything of the sort. Also, what do you mean "No one at EA can override the system to allow you to use a prohibited name"? If someone at EA made the system, they can override it and fix the issue. EA is a 1 BILLION$+ company, and you tell me they can't fix a small bug in the system? 

Please, answer me that. Because I'm honestly curious to A) Find out what in my name is prohibited, and B) Why EA can't fix the issue.

Again, no disrespect to you Darko, because you're just one of the community team members, I just find it ridiculous at this point because nobody at EA has provided an answer to my question, nor the solution to my problem. Have a good day.

Message 4 of 8 (1,091 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Smil3OD, I read your post in full and understand it.

As I said above, if a name is not accepted then you will not be able to use it. You can try an alternative of the name or a different one.

As for it being overridden, if a name is not accepted then no one in EA can change this, it is simply not something we offer. This is not a bug, this is a feature of Origin and EA naming where certain names cannot be used for a variety of reasons.

As for why a name may be prohibited, this is not something that we would be able to discuss with you in any detail.

If a name is flagged and not allowed then for whatever reason it will not be possible to use it as your username.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 5 of 8 (1,069 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko this reeks of 1984 (George Orwell) 2+2=5
Message 6 of 8 (851 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

If you are confused by something in my response above @RANCIDHEADCHEESE or having issues understanding parts please let me know and I can clarify it for you.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 8 (843 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You've done a pretty shoddy job "clarifying" anything thus far... just saying...

Message 8 of 8 (552 Views)