Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Moving Origin Games between SSD/HDD

by JanePhoenix

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Moving Origin Games between SSD/HDD

★★★★★ Novice

What is the simplest way to move games from my SSD to my HDD and vice versa?

Please explain in excruciating detail all the steps as I'm not very computer savvy :-)

Message 1 of 6 (9,470 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @MisterProEastie

This guide should give you all the advice that you would need : https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

So basically, you do the following :

1. Go to where you got your games installed on your SSD (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games), copy this folder from your SSD (Right-click the folder, choose 'Copy') and paste it in your new desired location on your HDD. (Right-click at the new location, choose 'Paste')
  2. On Origin, click 'Origin' from top left, go to 'Application settings' and to 'Installs & Saves' tab from the top. Change the 'Game library location' in your Origin client to reflect your new desired location on your HDD. (If you don't know where your Game library is for the first step, this is also how you can check where it currently is located in.)
  3. Start the download for the game and it should start skipping through files that are already there and only downloads what is necessary to install the game properly again to the new location.

I hope that is explained well enough for you. If you do have trouble though, just ping me back to this topic with @RedFoxxie and I'll come give more guidance for you.

Good luck !

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (10,692 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @MisterProEastie

This guide should give you all the advice that you would need : https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

So basically, you do the following :

1. Go to where you got your games installed on your SSD (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games), copy this folder from your SSD (Right-click the folder, choose 'Copy') and paste it in your new desired location on your HDD. (Right-click at the new location, choose 'Paste')
  2. On Origin, click 'Origin' from top left, go to 'Application settings' and to 'Installs & Saves' tab from the top. Change the 'Game library location' in your Origin client to reflect your new desired location on your HDD. (If you don't know where your Game library is for the first step, this is also how you can check where it currently is located in.)
  3. Start the download for the game and it should start skipping through files that are already there and only downloads what is necessary to install the game properly again to the new location.

I hope that is explained well enough for you. If you do have trouble though, just ping me back to this topic with @RedFoxxie and I'll come give more guidance for you.

Good luck !

Message 2 of 6 (10,693 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you very much! :-)

Message 3 of 6 (9,432 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Fantastic. Thank you!

Message 4 of 6 (9,193 Views)

★★★★ Novice

After you have copied all the files into the new drive can you delete the original files from the initial drive location or do you have to wait until you have started the download for the game again? 

Message 5 of 6 (8,003 Views)
Highlighted

Hero (Retired)
@linn_kar It's best to keep those files until you've confirmed a successful game install, as some users have reported losing their files in the process, thus having to redownload everything.
Message 6 of 6 (7,987 Views)