Migrating Installed Games to an Alternate Drive

by Cajun0727

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Migrating Installed Games to an Alternate Drive

★★★★ Novice

What do I need to do to successfully migrate my Origin games from where they are currently installed, to an alternate location where I have more storage capacity?  I hope I can simply move the folders and not have to re-install.

PC, Windows 10

Message 1 of 2 (292 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Migrating Installed Games to an Alternate Drive

@Cajun0727  First, create an Origin Games folder (or whatever you'd like to call it) on the other drive, so you're not trying to install a game on the root level of that drive.  Open your Origin game library, right-click on an installed game, choose Move Game, and select the folder where you want it.  Origin should move the files to their appropriate location and adjust the DRM/registry entries/whatever else is in the background to reflect the new location.  This works for most games, but some older ones might need to be reinstalled.

If you're having trouble getting this to work, you can try uninstalling Origin only, not your games, and reinstalling it on the drive where you plan to relocate your games.  Be sure to uninstall "the hard way."

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (248 Views)

All Replies

Re: Migrating Installed Games to an Alternate Drive

@Cajun0727  First, create an Origin Games folder (or whatever you'd like to call it) on the other drive, so you're not trying to install a game on the root level of that drive.  Open your Origin game library, right-click on an installed game, choose Move Game, and select the folder where you want it.  Origin should move the files to their appropriate location and adjust the DRM/registry entries/whatever else is in the background to reflect the new location.  This works for most games, but some older ones might need to be reinstalled.

If you're having trouble getting this to work, you can try uninstalling Origin only, not your games, and reinstalling it on the drive where you plan to relocate your games.  Be sure to uninstall "the hard way."

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (249 Views)