Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough Expansion Pack will not load

by 2195678213

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough Expansion Pack will not load

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello, can anyone help please?

I recently bought the two expansion packs for the Medal of Honor Allied Assault.   I can upload and play "Spearhead,"  but not "Breakthrough."    I'm playing the games on Windows 7 Home Premium.  

"Breakthrough" will not up load from disc. It keeps displaying "Virus."   I've tried using my Avast Anti Virus to clean up and delete the  viruses. It will detect them, but tells me the files are inaccessible to delete. 

I don't think the game is infected with a virus as it was brand new and sealed when I bought it. The strange thing is that I had the same trouble when I bought a second hand "Breakthrough" from someone on e-bay. When I tried to load it up my antivirus picked up a virus. Both files were the same "ex.com" files.  

Windows help tells me that as long as the ex.com file is a legitimate game file, it should load up OK. 

I've tried turning off my antivirus programme to no avail.

Can anyone suggest anything.

Many thanks.

Arnold. 

Message 1 of 13 (1,693 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough Expansion Pack will not load

Community Manager

Hey @2195678213 you can check to see if Windows Defender is running on your system and if it is disable it and then try launching the game again.

Darko 

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 9 of 13 (1,597 Views)

All Replies

★ Pro
@2195678213
I will check an Origin Download Version I've got. Though this sounds like something related to the Disc or the Anti-Virus. Avast is not good for gaming, since it often can false-detect.

First thing to try, is make sure the disc isn't damaged. Has it been near sources of damage: Sunlight (direct UV for prolonged periods of time), Magnets, or in a system that had a virus at some point. Second Hand discs can run into this issue. You shouldn't need to worry about these so much as the level of exposure required to damage the disc is around 48 hours or more. Most likely damage is physical scratches or cracks. I've personally had Magnets do damage to discs, but that was after about 3 months or so as it was lost down the back of somewhere.

More likely, is a false detection or pirated disc. It's easy to have run into a pirated disc with second hand products, so double check it's a genuine disc. Check the Packaging and Disc itself, and if you can, upload pictures of both.

Something else I noticed, you mentioned 'ex.com' files. This actually doesn't ring right to me, hence I thought that you picked up a pirated copy. If you have picked up a pirated copy of the disc, report it to the retailer. If you got it from a smaller establishment like a corner shop type, then contact trading standards. 'ex.com' doesn't sound right, you shouldn't be finding them type of files as far as I know (I'll check against my Version).
Message 2 of 13 (1,675 Views)

★ Pro
@2195678213
OK, so as I thought, the 'ex.com' is not meant to be there.

I did a search of my directory for MoH-AA, and the search of '*.com' came up with no results. The * is a wildcard, so it would search for anything with '.com' on the end. Nothing was found.

Also, the directory of '[DRIVE]:/eReg' is not something that occurs naturally, this also raised a red flag to me.

Recommended Action:
DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE THE DISC
Report the issue to the retailer.
Get your money back, this shouldn't be an issue.
If the retailer tries to give you any sass, then report the matter to Trading Standards.

If you really want to play the game, purchase it on Origin Store. Search for the 'Warchest' Edition, this will have all the bits and pieces.
Message 3 of 13 (1,673 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @2195678213 it's most likely just a case that your anti-virus is throwing up a false positive. If you purchase a legitimate retail copy of the game then you don't need to worry about the disc containing anything it shouldn't. The best thing to do is to add the game to your anti-virus white list and then try launching it again.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 13 (1,652 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello GENERALZOOL,

Many thanks for your help and advice with my game problem.  I'm sorry but I did give you some incorrect information when I mentioned the game throwing up "exe.com."  I've tried to load it again and it is actually displaying "code.exe."   I've looked on the Internet and found that "code.exe" can be a legitimate. The explanation Microsoft give is this

- "code.exe is an executable file that is part of the Microsoft Visual Studio Code program developed by Microsoft Corporation. The software is usually about in size. The .exe extension of a file name displays an executable file. In some cases, executable files can damage your computer.17 Jul 2019".

The article goes on to further explain that if one is sure that "code.exe" is indeed part of a legitimate programming process, then it will be safe to use. 

As the game I bought was brand new and still sealed in shrink wrap (which I had to cut off to get at the game!) I don't think the code was put there illegitimately - and I don't think it is a virus - it is just that as it is "code.exe", my antivirus is indeed picking it up as a virus.

Somone else (on the internet) suggested changing the original "Medal of Honor Allied Assault" game (I have this and the other expansion pack "Airborne") to "Mohaa.exe" and then changing the "Breakthrough" executable file to "Mohaa.exe,old" and trying this.

I'm reluctant to try this for fear of losing all the games!

I take on board all you have said GENERALZOOL and would again like to thank you for your help - but if (now that you have further information - you can offer any other advice, it would be gratefully received.

I am a 68yeard old man who likes War documentaries, and as such playing these war simulation games. (I do have all but the latest "Call of Duty" games - which I play "as administrator" and these work fine (as does the other two "Medal of Honor" games. It's just this one game that I've had trouble with!

Thanks again - and I look forward to receiving any further advcie you may be able to give.

Arnold.

Message 5 of 13 (1,645 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello  @2195678213

Many thanks for your reply.  I'll try adding the game to my Anti Virus "white list"  (I'm not sure how to do this but I'll have a try.  No doubt you've seen my reply to "GENERALZOOL'S" help.

As you can see - I gave him some incorrect info. 

Also, (as you can see) I genuinely don't think the game I bought has been tampered with in any way as the supplier assured me that it was brand new and unopened.

I'll try to add the game to my antivirus "allowable" list anyway - if I can fathom out how to do this.  (I'm no great computer games expert! (68 year old who can only play these war games on the "easy" mode!).

Thanks again - I will let everyone know how I get on,

Arnold. 

Message 6 of 13 (1,641 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @2195678213 if you search online for your anti-virus and how to add a program to it you'll find step by step instructions on how to add it.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 7 of 13 (1,633 Views)

★★ Novice

Many thanks "Hey @2195678213,"

I managed to add the game's code address onto my "Avast exception" list, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. The game was still being picked up as having a virus present. I tried various combinations of the games code address to no avail. I'm trying to discover if my Windows 7 Home Premium has another inbuilt virus protection?

It's all very frustrating!

Arnold.

Message 8 of 13 (1,609 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @2195678213 you can check to see if Windows Defender is running on your system and if it is disable it and then try launching the game again.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 9 of 13 (1,598 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello "Hey @2195678213,"

Thank you for your valued advice once again.  I've just checked, and disabled Windows Defender for this game - and it worked!!

"Breakthrough"  loaded up OK, and I've just opened it and started playing the first mission (in the desert with Montgomery's troops).

It's great! 

All I can say is a BIG THANKYOU, both to you   "Hey @2195678213,"    and  "GENERALZOOL." 

I can at last play "Breakthrough." 

Thanks again.

Arnold.                                              

Message 10 of 13 (1,589 Views)