Re: Origin Permission Issue

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
Hi, I actually have the same problem, I have tried everything, but nothing worked, maybe it's because of my OS release (OS X El Capitan) I'll keep you informed if I find something interesting...
Message 31 of 197 (2,790 Views)

@chachoumlp_

What happened when you changed the folders to Read only after adding in the downloaded helper tool files? I suggested it in my post above yours and it would help if you could explain what happened - did the files disappear again like they did when you first added them?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 32 of 197 (2,782 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry for the late reply! It did work at

first, after I made the files read only I opened origin and it went straight to the login screen, however it said origin was offline, so it wouldn't accept my password. It then closed itself and went back to the same loop again. When I checked the folders the files disappeared again so I repeated the entire process but it hasn't worked.

Message 33 of 197 (2,209 Views)

@helentemple

So disappointing Frown There are currently some issues with Origin being online so it may be worth repeating these steps again tomorrow but I completely understand if you don't want to!

I find it fascinating that those files are removing themselves again, it must be something to do with permissions but I have no idea what. Do you have any kind of file sharing set up? Multiple machines networked and sharing files maybe?

Thank you so much for the feedback, it really helps and hopefully the Origin team will look into this Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 34 of 197 (2,197 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi! I've been having this issue for nearly a week now. EAHelp said they were aware MAC users were having this problem and were working towards a solution, but that was days ago. When I spoke with them, they said a solution would be there in two hours. It has been four days since then. I've tried everything in your original post and nothing has worked. I am missing those two files you mentioned. However, I do not have folders inside of the library for PrivilegedHelperTools and LaunchDaemons. I downloaded the files you linked previously to someone else, but yeah, when I went to put them in the right place, I did not see the LaunchDaemons and PrivilegedHelperTools folders. What can I do to correct this? Any suggestions or ideas? 

Oh, the only thing I have not done is reset my OS (El Captain, which I cannot update as it's a school laptop and the school needs to do it, but it is not in session for another month). I've read that reinstalling the OS should be a last minute resort, so I want to save that for last. Unless that might help with getting those folders? 

Message 35 of 197 (2,187 Views)

@anmachino

Sounds like you're looking in your user folder, not the system folder. You should be looking in:

Macintosh HD > Library

NOT

Macintosh HD > Users > username > Library

where Macintosh HD is your internal storage/hard drive.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 36 of 197 (2,182 Views)

★★★ Novice

How embarrassing! I did as you said and put the files in the correct place, but as someone else said, when I clicked on origin and it began to load, the files removed themselves and I was asked to install helper tool again. I then did as you said to someone else, and changed it to read only, and the files removed themselves again and I was asked to install the helper tool. I don't have any file sharing or anything going on, so who knows what's going on. Thanks for the help! I've been checking your replies to multiple people for solution and although it hasn't worked yet, I do appreciate it!

Message 37 of 197 (2,166 Views)

★ Novice

This is ridiculous that such a popular game engine is doing this. I've not been able to open Origin all week. I've tried every solution on here (I appreciate your help) but none of them have worked. I've payed a lot of money for games that I can't even play ??? Origin seriously need to sort this out ASAP.

Message 38 of 197 (2,140 Views)

@anmachino @joecall10

Really appreciate the feedback, thank you Standard smile

I was so hopeful this may work but it doesn’t seem like it is. I’ll leave the post as is for now, though so others can try.

Which version of macOS are you both running?

Don’t forget to change the permissions back to Read & Write on those Library folders!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 39 of 197 (2,133 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I figured out what the problem was. I needed to update my Mac
Message 40 of 197 (2,116 Views)