It is possible to move Origin client onto a different disk? If yes, how?

by SajtosKifli117

Original Post

Accepted Solution

It is possible to move Origin client onto a different disk? If yes, how?

★★ Novice

I want to move my Origin client onto an other winchester to free up space (1,11 GB free from the total 111, jeez Disappointed), including my games (Spore and a few other non-Origin game). I tried moving the folders ("Origin" and "Origin Games"), but when I started up the client, it said Origin is not installed, so I put it back to its original place (the "Program Files (×86)" folder). I tried putting back the "Origin Games" folder too, but there's no disk space for it anymore. So, how can I move the client to the bigger disk without any loss? :/

Message 1 of 5 (6,300 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: It is possible to move Origin client onto a different disk? If yes, how?

Community Manager

Hey @SajtosKifli117, as @yahel_1 posted you can move your games to a new hard drive relatively easily if you follow the steps below:

1. Copy your Origin Game Library folder to wherever you want it.
    • The default location is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\”
  2. Set the Origin Game Library Location to the new location.
    • In Origin open up Settings
    • Select the “Installs & Saves” tab.
    • Under “Game library location” select “Change folder…”
    • Locate the new folder.
  3. Start a download for each game you’ve moved.
    • In Origin open up “My Game Library”
    • Find each game you’ve moved.
    • Press “Download”
    • Origin will skip downloading any files that are already there and update any that need to be updated.
  4. When Origin is done updating each game it will be ready to play.

You can find more info here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

You can also change the default install location so that going forward your downloads will be saved to the new folder: 

1. Go to Origin settings and under Installs & Saves change the default the folder for your games
  2. You can then redownload your games to the correct location or start downloading an expansion, pause it in Origin and then move the install folder to that location before selecting repair game.  

Any questions just shoot.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (6,279 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @SajtosKifli117

Try these steps https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Origin-Moving-Games-to-Another-Hard-Drive-or-S... and you should be fine mate.

If you have any problem after following the steps above, try clearing your platform’s cache https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/ then restart your machine and check.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.I'm a gamer like you, trying to help you (i'm not an EA employee).

If you want to know us or/and come up with ideas to improve the Origin platform or/and talk about anything and many more besides,you could also visit the NEW section Origin General Discussion http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/origin-general-discussion-en

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 5 (6,281 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @SajtosKifli117, as @yahel_1 posted you can move your games to a new hard drive relatively easily if you follow the steps below:

1. Copy your Origin Game Library folder to wherever you want it.
    • The default location is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\”
  2. Set the Origin Game Library Location to the new location.
    • In Origin open up Settings
    • Select the “Installs & Saves” tab.
    • Under “Game library location” select “Change folder…”
    • Locate the new folder.
  3. Start a download for each game you’ve moved.
    • In Origin open up “My Game Library”
    • Find each game you’ve moved.
    • Press “Download”
    • Origin will skip downloading any files that are already there and update any that need to be updated.
  4. When Origin is done updating each game it will be ready to play.

You can find more info here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

You can also change the default install location so that going forward your downloads will be saved to the new folder: 

1. Go to Origin settings and under Installs & Saves change the default the folder for your games
  2. You can then redownload your games to the correct location or start downloading an expansion, pause it in Origin and then move the install folder to that location before selecting repair game.  

Any questions just shoot.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 5 (6,280 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Thanks, it's working! I've got everything I had before! Standard smile

Message 4 of 5 (6,267 Views)

Community Manager

@SajtosKifli117 Great to hear, enjoy your games.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 5 (6,265 Views)