Issues with installing Sims 4

by rickbearcat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Issues with installing Sims 4

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have followed all your steps to the letter.  The game will not fully install.  I'm not even sure if it is partially installed.  Going to my installed programs shows that it is not there.  In the attachment you can see the error that I am getting everytime I click on "finalize" the game.  What do you make of this?

Message 1 of 10 (1,622 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Issues with installing Sims 4

@rickbearcat  I was under the impression that TS4 only uses the 2013 versions of the VC++ redistributables, but after some checking, I realized (belatedly) that it installs a 2010 version as well.  Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

I'm sorry for the confusion on my end.  If uninstalling and reinstalling the 2010 versions doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post here, and I'll ask someone who's better with Windows than I am to look into it.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

By the way, this doesn't have anything to do with which version (free or not) of TS4 you're downloading.  EA may well be trying to tempt people to buy TS4 content, but I think the point is to provide the base game for free and then offer the two dozen or so packs, not to force an upgrade to the base game itself.  At any rate, if you've been downloading TS4, it's in your Origin library for good, no matter when you actually install it.  So if it takes more than a couple of days to resolve this (I hope it doesn't, but you never know), you'll still be able to access the game for free later on.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (1,382 Views)

All Replies

Re: [PLEASE POST HERE] Issues with getting free Sims 4

★★★★★ Novice

Adding it to my wishlist did nothing.

Message 2 of 10 (1,517 Views)

@rickbearcat  I've split your comments into their own thread, since your issue has to do with installing TS4, rather than adding it to your Origin library.

Either the VC++ redistributable isn't installing correctly, or you have a corrupt version of one or both files.  Go to Settings > Apps and uninstall the 2013 versions, if you have them, and then download and install new ones from Microsoft.  Be sure to get both the x86 and x64 versions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Message 3 of 10 (1,450 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I had about 10 programs installed under the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x64 or x86"  variety.  I first tried repairing all of them and trying to download the game.  Did not work.  I then proceeded to delete them all and go to the website you gave and download the two that you recommended.  This also did not work.  What can we do next?

Message 4 of 10 (1,424 Views)

★★★ Newbie

whenever i click yes to if it can create changes to my laptop it freezes and says it won't work and i sat through that over and over for over half of an hour. what do i do?

Message 5 of 10 (1,415 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I need to also add that when I say that I've downloaded whatever suggestions you asked me to do, that I also installed all those downloads as well.  And just to be sure that something wasn't globally wrong with the Origin Launcher App itself, I tried to run three separate games that I own within my library of games.  All three games ran flawlessly.  It should also be noted that I recently installed a new NVMe M.2 drive into my computer and wiped everything in anticipation of this.  I fresh installed Windows 10 Pro and reinstalled everything on or about the beginning of this month of May.  So, every program and game on my computer is new and or freshly installed; games included.  So far, nothing has failed to work on any part of my PC except for this issue with trying to download The Sims 4.

I am starting to think that EA just wants you to get frustrated with this "free game" and just try their paid for services.  I'm actually tempted to try that as an avenue of approach and see if the game downloads and installs and plays.  Then contact EA for a refund of my purchase.  I have a few more days to continue to stay here and get the help of the great people that are trying their very best to solve our download problems.  EA themselves are not helping whatsoever in solving what they must know by now is a serious issue because so many people are complaining and asking for help.

Message 6 of 10 (1,407 Views)

@rickbearcat  I was under the impression that TS4 only uses the 2013 versions of the VC++ redistributables, but after some checking, I realized (belatedly) that it installs a 2010 version as well.  Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

I'm sorry for the confusion on my end.  If uninstalling and reinstalling the 2010 versions doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post here, and I'll ask someone who's better with Windows than I am to look into it.

By the way, this doesn't have anything to do with which version (free or not) of TS4 you're downloading.  EA may well be trying to tempt people to buy TS4 content, but I think the point is to provide the base game for free and then offer the two dozen or so packs, not to force an upgrade to the base game itself.  At any rate, if you've been downloading TS4, it's in your Origin library for good, no matter when you actually install it.  So if it takes more than a couple of days to resolve this (I hope it doesn't, but you never know), you'll still be able to access the game for free later on.

Message 7 of 10 (1,383 Views)

@chickennsoupp  Please run a dxdiag and attach the results to a post here.

I'll probably split your comments into their own thread, since it's easier to keep individual issues separate.

Message 8 of 10 (1,381 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

After applying the latest fix (removing/reinstalling the 2010 redistributables/attachment 3) from the linked sights you provided has worked!  Installed them both and restarted the computer.  Launched Origin and the app (as usual) automatically started to finalize The Sims 4 (see attachment 2 of what it looked like prior to installation of 2010 VC++).

I should note here that before I deleted the 2010 VC++ redistributes that I hovered over them and discovered that they were from [signed by] MSI, not Microsoft.  This could have been the problem all along for all I know.  I also captured the dxdiag in a file as you instructed and I could still give that to you if you need it.  Just respond and let me know.

I would like to thank you for your help with this issue and I hope that you (or myself) can pass this fix along to others that have a similar problem.  Standard smile

Message 9 of 10 (1,353 Views)

@rickbearcat  I'm so glad to hear the game is working now.  And thank you for figuring out that the original 2010 VC++ redistributables were signed by MSI; I would never have thought to check, or that it might be a problem.  Who knows why (maybe the files were corrupt, maybe Origin couldn't find them or didn't recognize them, etc.), but it's great information to have.  I'll definitely pass it on the next time the issue comes up.

I don't think it's necessary to go over your dxdiag, unless of course you run into some other problem.  That was just in case reinstalling the redistributables didn't help; I was hoping I, or someone else better with Windows, would happen to spot something that could be interfering with the install process.

And yes, if you see someone else with the same issue, please do pass along the info.  This problem seems to be uncommon but not unheard of, so I'm sure other people would appreciate the suggestion as well.

Message 10 of 10 (1,342 Views)