Issue w/Origin saying to update games and losing all progress

by columbia93

Original Post

Issue w/Origin saying to update games and losing all progress

★ Guide

I can't seem to get anyone to help me on this so trying again with a different title that might get attention. EA is helping others but still I'm still waiting....

After the last Origin update, several of my Origin games now have an icon saying that an update is available.

1.  I clicked on the icon to update Bejeweled. When I went into the game, ALL of my progress, as well as my user ID was gone. I'd actually completed the regular game and am working on the challenges but it's all gone. It's even asking me to create a screen name, that's how gone it is.

2.  I then went to Peggle. I thought that since the update screwed up the other game, I'd try repair, thinking that an update, if available, would automatically download. Well, I ended up losing all progress in that game, too!

3.  I've not updated any others because of this. They are mostly the smaller, older games that probably shouldn't even have updates so it would great to know WHY I'm suddenly being asked to update a half dozen of them.

----->  I've been asking where the saves for the Origin games are kept so I can try to copy them to the desktop to put back in after the update, but no one is responding. Again, I don't want to update anything else until this is resolved, including finding out that there shouldn't even be updates.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A different issue I'm having with Origin that I've been trying elsewhere to find a solution for months is with launching my Sims 3 game.

1.  A couple of months ago after an Origin update, my Sims 3 started giving me a message to Update or Play Without Updating. I thought this was weird at the time because OBVIOUSLY TS3 is an older game and shouldn't need an update.

a.  I tried the Update option but it doesn't do anything. It's been a while since I did it but I think it just gave me the blank Origin screen and I had to manually close it out.

b.  If I choose Play Without Updating, it plays without updating. Still, I don't think I should have to keep making this designation when there is obviously something wrong.

2. I have done hard uninstall/reinstalls in March and in April, when Origin updates screwed up (at least once a month). And yet the problem persists.

3.  I also don't think the first half of this post has anything to do with this issue as the first part is a new issue and I've been dealing with the TS3 one for 2-3 months.

4.  I have yet to try to uninstall and reinstall TS3 (for what should be obvious reasons - mainly that it's a huge undertaking). If I can't get help, it will likely come to that. Ugh.

5.. I've posted a screenshot of what I'm seeing, if that helps.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While I'm on the subject and if someone wants to chime in.....around that same time when the Origin update screwed up launching TS3, it also screwed up being able to launch TS4 via GFE (GeForce Experience). I like to use the app because I can see several games there that are on Origin and Steam, as well as easily make sure that the graphics are maximized.

1.  Anyway, when I launch TS4 from GFE, I get a screen that says the game is unidentified! Basically, I can't launch TS4 from GFE.  Screenshot attached.

Message 1 of 5 (828 Views)

Re: Issue w/Origin saying to update games and losing all progress

★ Guide

My experience is that EA doesn't provide help on these forums nor do they provide help through their Help Chat function.  Some of these issues are recent but others are not and I still can't get EA people to respond. I see them responding to other people now and then but I'm still sitting here with things not working and no assistance from EA.  I couldn't even get them to tell me where the saves files are. The chat person asked about my Doc/Elec Arts folder but I've never had anything but TS3 & TS4 in that folder. A clean boot did nothing, which I knew it wouldn't, but I guess it was a way for EA to not answer the questions and get me off chat. I will ONCE AGAIN uninstall and reinstall Origin, for what that's worth but that won't get my progress back. It won't fix the TS3 Launch issue because that is months old and it won't fix the TS4 issue with GFE.

Message 2 of 5 (793 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

So, I uninstalled/reinstalled Origin (the "hard" way) and it didn't fix anything. As a matter of fact. Peggle and Bejeweled - the two apps I "updated" before and lost all progress on, they are showing AGAIN that they need to be updated. WTH?

Seriously, I need someone to take the time to read this and to look at the screen shots and figure out what is going on and what can be done to fix it!

The screenshot attached to this post is Origin AFTER the uninstall/reinstall, so you can see that it didn't fix this issue, plus it put Peggle & Bejeweled back on there.

Okay, since I had to go to Origin in my browser (Firefox) in order to redownload, I thought to check my Library in the browser. The "Update Available" isn't showing up in the Library. So what's going on.

*Note: The issue with TS3 saying it needs to be updated has been going on for months and it's still not working correctly. Nor can TS4 be launched from GFE.

I just went back to HELP to see my case file and EA has marked them both "RESOLVED"!!! Are you kidding me? The guys I talked to both knew it wasn't resolved. They didn't do anything!  One of them we got disconnected. The other literally gave me a web page to do a clean boot. THAT is NOT a resolution. That is merely a tool to eliminate where the problem is, which I knew would return a "no change". No where NEAR being resolved.

Message 3 of 5 (783 Views)

★ Guide

How great would it be if the EA team that monitors this forum would actually answer ALL requests for help!  I've been everywhere on this, including the Help Chat, where they just said it was weird and then told me to do a clean boot, which I knew would be pointless but it enabled the Help guy to not actually help.

I've posted screenshots to make it as easy as I can and still ---- no response. A tech support forum and no tech support. SMH. So I'll push this again because I've been trying to get someone to help me for weeks.

Message 4 of 5 (726 Views)

★ Guide

I am still waiting to hear from someone who actually works for EA. Y'all don't seem to be too interested in helping but then, I guess I'm an optimist. Maybe you could at least tell me why don't think you need to bother with colossal technical problems that your Help Desk doesn't understand or even want to attempt to fix. Because I've been on chat with them a few times, as well as posting here over and over, waiting for that "promised" assistance that is supposed to take place pretty quickly.

Message 5 of 5 (700 Views)