I finally figured out why the launcher is causing the fullscreen-minimizing bug.

by SirGalahad91

Original Post

I finally figured out why the launcher is causing the fullscreen-minimizing bug.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Over the past 2 days I've read pretty much every single article written about the Origin launcher making people's games basically completely unplayable. Basically the games will stay minimized in the taskbar if you try to go fullscreen. And even in windowed or borderless modes the game will sometime lose focus and you'll lose control of your mouse and keyboard for a couple of seconds. Well after many hours of tinkering I *may* have found the root of the problem. (asterisk because I just bought Battlefront II on steam yesterday, so that's the only game I've encountered the problem with, but reading about other games with this issue it seems like the same exact root cause).

ANYWAY:

It's because the Origin Launcher is trying to run at a slightly different frame rate from your game.

Here's all you have to do: 

• In the case of Star Wars BattleFront 2, I went into <C:\Users\Admin\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings\ & used a text editor to edit both the "BootOptions" and "ProfileOptions_profile" files so the lines GstRender.FullscreenRefreshRate are changed from 60.000000 to 59.994999. If you are running a HFR monitor, try whatever values would work best for you. For example, you could try going from 144.000000 ---> 143.994999 and it that doesn't work, try going down a solid integer (143.000000 or 142.994999). Make sure to set the same value in both files. 

For all other games with the same issues described:

• If your game CAN run in windowed mode, and there is a setting to customize your fullscreen frame rate, then set it just a little bit below what your default monitor refresh rate is.
  • If you can't get into the game at all, figure out where your games graphics settings are (probably some .ini file) and change it in a text editor
  • I know you can set frame rate caps in the nvidia control panel if you select your game under Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings, but like I said, these ideas are all untested, but they should work.

Hopefully this guide helps a couple people out.

EDIT: Nevermind. That didn't work. Go to your gpu control panel and change scaling from 'maintain aspect ratio' to 'centered'. I then went to the intel control panel (i'm using a laptop with hybrid graphics) made sure just to go over to to system - power, and changed the power plan to maximum performance, turned panel self refresh and adaptive brightness were both turned off.

Everything seems to be working at the moment.

Message 1 of 2 (1,545 Views)

Re: I finally figured out why the launcher is causing the fullscreen-minimizing

★★★ Newbie

Thanks you this worked for me by using 'Full Screen' . Working well. 

Message 2 of 2 (206 Views)