Re: How do I set maximum download speed in origin?

by chipmunkofdoom2

Original Post

★ Novice

FFS EA How hard can it be?

Message 261 of 279 (1,884 Views)

★★★ Novice

Really? I mean REALLY? How on earth can you even release software like this? There is no way to limit the download speed? So I am supposed to download all of 50+ Gb Star wars Battlefront without being able to use anything internet-related meantime? No thanks. Get your * together. I tried Origin first time now and I have been loyal Steam customer for ages. This is one of very, VERY basic things. Who is doing the decisions there EA? And this has been the case for years? WOW.

Very dissapointed customer here, and you just lost this very dissapointed customer. Never gonna use this * again. Congratulations.

Message 262 of 279 (1,787 Views)

★★ Novice

I had never played Mass Effect 3 because it was an Origin-only game. ME3 came up for sale today for a few bucks, so I figured, "why not?" I purchased the key, installed Origin, and started the download.

Sure enough, my home's Internet connection slowed to a crawl. With Origin sucking up every bit of bandwidth, there was none left for anything or anyone else. "Easy," I thought, "I'll just go into the options and limit the speed at which Origin can download." Nope. No dice. It's April of 2017, and people have been requesting this feature since 2014, yet Origin is still not able to limit transfer speeds. Every single other digital distribution platform has this feature. Evidently, EA has much more important (read: revenue-generating) things to do.

The reason it took so long for me to play Mass Effect 3 is because of how much Origin sucks. Because I waited to long to play ME3, I paid a pittance for it (less than three USD, to be precise). If you're going to force me to use a garbage distribution platform to access to your content, then I'll continue to only pay bargain-basement prices for your content.

Message 263 of 279 (1,608 Views)

★★ Novice

guys..please just implement it..i only have 10 mbps connection and i can't even browse the web normally without pausing a download on origin..

Message 264 of 279 (1,515 Views)

★★ Novice

It's 2017.  How is it even possible that Origin doesn't have download throttling yet?

Message 265 of 279 (1,298 Views)

★ Novice

still no throttle... brutal...

Message 266 of 279 (1,144 Views)

★★ Novice
I do not believe that an application for Games Purchases and Downloads in 2017 does not yet have such bandwidth control ... 
I am anxiously awaiting the solution of this demand! This has not been solved yet.
Message 267 of 279 (1,105 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I already typed a long, detailed reply demonstrating WHY this is so ridiculous... literally over a year ago. Back when I wrote that, it had already been an absurd amount of time. Now it's a year later.

EA reps, every time you reply with one of your generic, clunky, scripted responses it is quite literally a slap in the face. You very clearly have zero respect for us as consumers and have determined there's just no need to demonstrate any; as long as you remain profitable, who cares? It's very unlikely that this issue or the people in this thread will have any significant impact on your profitability, so screw us right?

Every time you reply telling us how important we and our opinions are to you, you're effectively lying to us at this point. There is no excuse - literally, not a single one - for the amount of time this has gone unresolved. I would literally prefer that you not reply at all than read another "it's been another year, around 5 total, and we still haven't allocated 20 MINUTES of time to help you guys out but I SWEAR you're super important to us!" response.

It's a joke, your level of customer service is a joke, and the fact that anybody at your customer service center / corporate headquarters / wherever you are finds this situation acceptable is simply laughable. Whether you're slinging videogames or socks, customer service is customer service -- and you simply offer none. This is not some small quality of life request, users are telling you they are UNABLE TO USE THEIR ENTIRE HOME NETWORK when downloading a product using your PROPRIETARY SERVICE and you've ignored it.

I have a friend that's an editor at Polygon and a few others at IGN, and after speaking to them *they* even find this absurd. I can't wait to see what they write about it - maybe when the scope of this issue goes beyond a thread you can ignore for half a decade you'll treat your customers with a bit more respect.

Message 268 of 279 (1,871 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It is a running joke amongst video game reviewers to mention what a * Origin is and how they hate using it  whenever reviewing EA games. Because I have literally never heard anything good about it I have just ignored it until now. But I keep hearing good things about Titanfall 2 so I figure I might as well see what the trial version is like.

50 gig download using all bandwidth, no one on my house can use the internet. Check options to set bandwidth limit. Cant find them, must be missing something. Google problem, find this thread. Pause download so thread will actually load. Cant belive it, jump to end of thread because in 3 years something must have been done. Best solution is EA rep suggesting using third party program.

This is just pitiful. It would be like every delivery company leaving your packages at the front door, but FedEx just throwing them as hard as they could at your window. But when you ask them if they could instead just leave them at the door they say "There is a reason thousands of other people chuck things at windows. Perhaps you could should get some storm shutters." Is none of the management at EA concerned that Origin receives exclusively bad press, and then when people push past it and see for themselves, the negative opinions are immediately confirmed?

Message 269 of 279 (1,608 Views)

★★ Novice

There's a solution :

1) Call your ISP.

2) Request a dual modem service.

3) Pay 2x more per month.

4) Plug the PC with origin on one model and all other devices on the other modem.

You'll have max speed in Origin and with other devices all at once.

That's a solution. Right? RIGHT?!?

(Can you feel, at least, the 100% sarcasm in this?)

I mean... that makes as much sense as to why the option to limit bandwidth from the software hasn't been added for years.

Could it be that the guy(s) who made Origin doesn't works at EA anymore and now, nobody knows how it really works in its core?

Is there some serious case of Atychiphobia in the group working on the Origin software? That could explains a lot actually.

I mean... I know only a little in C#, C++ and Javascript... For each one of those languages, that's something quite basic which is required to understand as soon as you touch anything related to networking behavior. Even the little I know (at best, you could consider me a Junior C#, C++ and Javascript programmer), that's something I could do in a week top.

Message 270 of 279 (2,418 Views)