How do I bypass the EA App and access Origin to play games.

by lgaudet

Original Post

How do I bypass the EA App and access Origin to play games.

★★★★★ Apprentice

How do I bypass the EA App forced installation and access Origin to play games.

I cannot open Origin. It is forcing to install the EA app that does not work!

The EA app is broken.

Purchased content shows as I don't own it. Missing expansion packs and add-ons that cost a LOT of $$$$ over the year!.

Existing game files won't play. You can only re-start a new game file.

Reinstalling does not work - attempts to install content says game needs to be updated.

Repair did not update. Game files were all up to date and working this morning!

Message 1 of 404 (60,531 Views)

Re: How do I bypass the EA App and access Origin to play games.

★★★★★ Apprentice

I tried uninstalling the crappy EA app and re-installing Origin (had it in my downloads folder still) without allowing it to update Origin.

I could open Origin and launch a game without being forced into the non-functional new EA app.

But launching the game, the game kept crashing and is completely unusable.

I tried restarting the computer - DID NOT ALLOW ORIGIN TO UDPATE - and it still managed to push through the effing update forcing the install of the new EA app.

I guess I'll check if EA games are usable again in a few months or so  Frown

Message 2 of 404 (60,508 Views)

@lgaudet  Try reinstalling Origin without uninstalling the EA App.  You can use the current version of Origin, which you can download from here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Downloading-and-installing-Origin-Windows-and-...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 404 (60,427 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that using this link and it still pops up with the forced update EA app window with no way around it, which uninstalled Origin. So I'm back to square one and also have to tell the kids today they can't play any games until EA fixes their app.

Message 4 of 404 (60,386 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @lgaudet going forward you will need to use the EA app to play your EA games.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 5 of 404 (60,368 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Darko it doesnt work. the EA app does not work.
Message 6 of 404 (60,353 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Darko any ETA on the EA app being fixed?

$$$$$ in purchased expansion packs and add-on content shows I no longer own it. Existing game files are not playable. My guess is because they have content I bought that the new EA app does not recognize I own. The only option is to start a new blank game with base game content and a lot of missing content. Reinstall does not work.

If I try to reinstall any missing content from the EA app, it would require me to re-purchase content I already paid for.

If I try to reinstall any missing content from the game launcher, it says the game has to be updated and install failed. There is no option to update the game and "repair" did not repair anything.

Thank you,

Message 7 of 404 (60,308 Views)

★★ Guide

Same here.

Message 8 of 404 (59,972 Views)

★★ Guide

I've now had this problem on other PCs, all Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, all fully Patched, all working absolutely fine, and all cannot Upgrade from Origin to the mandatory EA App.

Now I cannot access any paid for content, and cannot go back to Origin.

There is no option to override the forced EA Upgrade, it now dominates the Origin screen, and there is no workaround.

I have tried all of the various suggestions to get around this, such as Running the EA App download as Administrator, making sure all Windows Modules are updated, and turning off Anti-Virus.

Nothing works.

The EA App Upgrade always downloads stuff, then halts at the Installation Screen, then, after a little while, it announces something has gone wrong. and would I like to submit a Report to the Droids, which I do every time.

I must stress this exact same issue has happened on different well specified PCs and Laptops, and it is very obviously an EA App problem.

This is, effectively, a catastrophic EA App Upgrade failure, because it totally prevents any access to existing paid-for Content.

There is no obvious way around this, and nobody should be expected to spend hours trying to find a way around what should be a simple update.

Message 9 of 404 (59,875 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yep, tried all the same things you did with the same results: about 70% of the way through the upgrade I get an error message and that is it. No help and no ideas since I can't get into EA for assistance. I thought Origin was bad, EA is going from the proverbial frying pan into the fire. Terrible app.

Message 10 of 404 (59,859 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help