Re: How To Stop Origin From Automatically Downloading Sims 4 EPs/GPs/SPs?

by alliza

Original Post

How To Stop Origin From Automatically Downloading Sims 4 EPs/GPs/SPs?

★★ Novice

I've seen similar questions in other forms, but decided to post because I've tried to resolve this issue by:

1. Going into Application Settings via my Account - Clicking Applications - Disabling/Turning Off Game Updates (Honestly I turned off just about anything related to "updating").

2. Going into the Origin Games folder - Removing the GP/FP folder - Placing the GP/FP folder onto my Desktop (This method did not work because each time I restarted/logged into Origin, it downloaded the GP/FP I removed).

3. Disabled the GP/FP.  I learned this method through The Sim Supply (kudos to him); however, I still suffered some game lag.  Maybe I was being paranoid or picky, but that's when I decided to try step #2.

Either than that I've cleaned out Origin's caches (still the same result) and uninstalling/installing the Sims 4 several times over (still the same result).  I've never had this problem before.  When I played the Sims 4 on my Mac, I was able to cancel any downloads Origin wanted to automatically download and didn't have an issue...EVER.  Now that I'm playing Sims 4 on a PC laptop, every time I login, Origin wants to download the GP/FP I keep trying to cancel.  BTW, I'm doing this because of storage and game lag.  Thanks to anyone who so happens to stumble upon my question and can give me a little advice/help...It Will Be Well Appreciated.

Message 1 of 7 (8,014 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@JChill4Real

Well the first solution should work, so I don't know how to solve it, but I wonder, why are you trying to do this?

Message 2 of 7 (7,981 Views)

★★ Novice
Surprisingly it hasn’t. As of recent, I’ve uninstalled Sims 4 from Origin and Origin itself. I’m going to reinstall both and see if that’ll resolve the issue I’m having. I’m doing this because I’m temporarily playing the Sims on a laptop while I’m building my PC and I’ve got but so much storage.
Message 3 of 7 (7,974 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@JChill4Real

Okay!
Is this what you tried with "disabling them": https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/03/disable-single-packs/
Just for testing purposes, if you turn off automatic game updates and restart Origin, is the setting still the same or does it reset itself?

Message 4 of 7 (7,970 Views)

★★ Novice
As far as uninstalling/reinstalling Origin, that’s my first time doing so and I’ve still go the same results.
I even unchecked the boxes for automatic updates when I was promoted and once Origina was fully installed, checked my Application settings to be sure all was well. Seeing that it was I then downloaded Sims 4 and only the EPs and GPs I wanted. I started the game and noticed it was still sluggish so once I was able to get to the main menu of the game, I exited, checked Origin, and found that it was downloading the very same EPs and GPs I had unchecked before I installed everything.
I honestly don’t understand how Origin is still downloading when a.) I’ve unchecked the boxes for automatic game updates and b.) I’ve unchecked the boxes for the EPs and GPs I didn’t want before I began the install.
Message 5 of 7 (7,958 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @JChill4Real

This post is a bit old, but if it's here, I thought I'd answer.Fingers crossed

-clear Origin cache https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/origin-my-games-list-is-blank 

-delete temp files: open the Start Menu and type %temp%  in the Search field  or click in the Run option in the Start Menu and type %temp% in the Run field.Press Enter and a Temp folder should open. You can delete all files found in this folder, and if any files are in use, they can be skipped.

--perform a Clean Boot https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/FAQ/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Following these troubleshooting steps you will get rid of this issue.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.I'm a gamer like you, trying to help you (i'm not an EA employee).

If you want to know us or/and come up with ideas to improve the Origin platform or/and talk about anything and many more besides,you could also visit the NEW section Origin General Discussion https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/origin-general-discussion-en

Retired champion.
Message 6 of 7 (7,825 Views)

★★ Apprentice

That also doesn’t work, believe me, I had broke my laptop because of this bull crap of an issue so just download the packs that you want in the game, it’ll do the pop message saying you have uninstalled packs and they (Origin) will download them for you (something like that) and stop and pause the packs that are getting downloaded, cancel them and just play your game. The next time you play. It won’t be there anymore. As I write this, I have stop playing the sims. For Download Restrictions, EA put download restrictions during gameplay (one of the options), do not download but for downloading without playing any game THERES NO “DO NOT DOWNLOAD” OPTIONS?!? I hate EA.

Message 7 of 7 (5,687 Views)