Re: High CPU when downloading and repairing

by phenix30au

Original Post

Accepted Solution

High CPU when downloading and repairing

★★★ Newbie

Several times I have reinstalled Origin as well as Sims 4 on my PC. I should not have 90-100% CPU utilization when downloading or repairing games. I believe this is also related to my PC's inability to launch Sims 4 (hence the repeated attempts at repairing). When starting Sims 4 it will just read "Unable to start: Cannot start because required game data is missing or damaged. Please repair or reinstall the game via Origin."

It seems that has been a problem with the Origin client for several years based on the forums, at its is disappointing that Origin has not anything about this.

Some other things I have noted:
- Removed all expansions, packs, stuff, so the only thing I attempt to repair is The Sims 4 base game and I still notice a large jump in CPU as well as inability to start the game (same statement as above)

- Sometimes I noticed that the CPU utilization would go up for every item downloaded or repaired. e.g., Origin utilization of CPU during: download of Sims 4 game (10%), download of extra content A (moves up to 20%), download of extra content B (moves up to 30%), etc. after ~6 or so of the 20 extra content I have my CPU at 100% utilization.

- In a prior posts, I saw a differentiation between "Download" vs "Install" on origin, and the high CPU could be due to installation still being needed. This would make sense to the above bullet, as CPU increases for each downloaded game (but not necessarily installed?). Either way, why don't we have an indication on the the Origin dashboard about Installations?

Pls FX

Message 1 of 14 (4,050 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @trrosales if you are basing the high CPU usage on Task Manage then it is important to remember that this info can be incredibly inaccurate. 

Unless your computer is crashing with a BSOD due to this usage then it is nothing to worry about.

For the error you are seeing, if repairing is not working then I would recommend that you reinstall the game fully.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 14 (4,012 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @trrosales if you are basing the high CPU usage on Task Manage then it is important to remember that this info can be incredibly inaccurate. 

Unless your computer is crashing with a BSOD due to this usage then it is nothing to worry about.

For the error you are seeing, if repairing is not working then I would recommend that you reinstall the game fully.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 14 (4,013 Views)

★★ Novice

Same for me. Game worked fine last night, then this morning it just froze twice, where I couldn't even click anything or press any buttons to get the pop up menus either. Could still hear the game sounds and that's all. Went to repair the game and now it's been five hours since I started. I was letting it work in the background but my computer kept freezing and crashing so I exited out of everything and that's when I noticed it was using 99 and more percent of my CPU. I've tried many fixes, but nothing works. It will download base game and a few packs just fine, quick as a wink, and then it craps out around the 8-10 download. Now it's downloading Get Famous and saying it has 47 minutes remaining (it started out saying 28). I am running NOTHING else on the computer at this time except Task Manager. That's just ridiculous.

Message 3 of 14 (3,941 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

EDIT: I manually uninstalled and reinstalled Origin six times and finally got some relief. On the sixth fresh install the client suddenly recognized I was missing a required update for the Sims 4, and after downloading that, it stopped trying to repair my game. It never prompted me to get this update before so I don't even know what it is or why I didn't have it before. I'm hesitant to say the high CPU usage when verifying/repairing/downloading games is solved. I'm just able to avoid it for now. I don't consider this a satisfactory fix.

I think I'm having a similar problem although I can start my game. I made the choice to repair my Sims 4 game a few days ago after deleting a mod, just to be safe. I let the repairs run overnight but it apparently had run into multiple errors (which I submitted reports for as prompted), did not complete the repair, and my computer had been at 100% CPU usage for over 10 hours straight until I shut it off.

I cleared Origin's cache files, restarted my computer, and initiated another repair of Sims 4. It was successful. I started playing the game, but Origin was still causing 100% CPU usage in the background. The game performance was abysmal until it eventually crashed. I killed Origin in task manager. Started Origin again, and here we go, it is trying to repair Sims 4 again. Why? I don't know. I let it finish anyway. I started playing my game and Origin is again causing 100% CPU usage. My PC stuttered to a crawl. I had to kill Origin in task manager to stop this.

Every time I launch Origin, it runs another repair for Sims 4 while utilizing 100% CPU, and when it is finished it continues at this usage level until forcibly stopped.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled both the Sims 4 and Origin itself (the "hard way") and it is still doing this to me. I'm currently in the middle of reinstalling Sims 4 again and seeing 100% CPU usage. My PC is borderline unresponsive. This has never, ever happened before, it's not normal. It started two days ago when I decided to repair my Sims 4 game and has been a problem ever since.

Message 4 of 14 (3,917 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@luckysilvercatmine started acting funny when i repaired sims 4 as well, and i have the most problems with sims than when i try to play other games. i've done compatibility mode, checking drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling origin, moving files to a different hard drive, i even got a SSD to see if it was a bad drive, nothing seems to work....i have noticed it climbs up the cpu ladder the longer its opened, and that the older the compatibly mode the longer it stays open.

Message 5 of 14 (3,763 Views)

★ Novice

I use mods for the Sims 4 and will occasionally repair my game to make sure I didn't ruin anything. For at least 3 months, I've stopped playing because the Sims 4 will repair itself every time I open origin. If I leave Origin open, it will automatically do this several times a day for all 30+ files. And it never finishes. Origin will crash or it will say download stopped. I've uninstalled origin and the sims 4 once, and its gotten better, but has not fixed the issue.

Message 6 of 14 (3,546 Views)

★★★ Newbie

what kind of stupid response is that Darko??? your telling a customer who paid real cash for your dumb product that the cpu temp on a computer is wrong because you say it is? LOL get a grip, i wouldn't expect much more from you guys, all you care about is making money, no wonder millions have left your games and this is EXACTLY why! instead of fixing your broken * you blame the customer saying its their fault? geez look at that another 6 people having the same problem. i spose your going to blame their computers aswell? here's an idea, why don't you fix your stupid buggy launcher and oh i dont know, maybe let the customers who paid ALOT of money for your broken series. and btw? my partners game is doing the exact same * right now and yes her cpu is at 100% and yes it did crash multiple times and NO she couldn't do anything else and NO it wont finish downloading the dam files anymore like the rest of the people here! So do NOT sit there and blame us when its your * that is broken and using 100% for repairing and redownloading the game they paid for and it does not work! tell your so called tech crew to get on to it and release a hotfix with better optimisation, this is *, all total have paid well over $250 for a game that is causing my partners laptop to CRASH and yes task manager is reading it correctly!!

you should be well ashamed of your attitude! how dare you blame a customer who seeked help for your client when you would be well aware it is broken!!!

p.s: i dont care what your position is in the company, that response was the biggest * move ever! either help your customers or find another job and let someone who can actually help talk!

Message 7 of 14 (3,468 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@phenix30au Thank you for saying what needs to be said. This company could not care less about any of us and it shows. This is by far the worst customer service I've had. The issue is 100% on their end but they'd rather blame us and ignore the people who have spent literally hundreds of dollars on their games. I'm absolutely disgusted but not surprised.
Message 8 of 14 (3,075 Views)

★ Novice

I’m having the same issue to the point where my computer has crashed twice, CPU AT 100% whilst just trying to VERIFY game files. CPU at 100% ram at 19%, whole computer slows down to the point where I have to calculate the mouse getting to task manager to end origin before the computer shuts down again. It was fine last night, don't understand what has happened. Just been to a possible trouble shoot and the whole process of uninstalling and reinstalling origin is ridiculous plus that article was not saying anything about computer crashes..........

Message 9 of 14 (3,045 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Same issue here trying to download the Battlefield series, CPU at 99% constant. Laptop is a new Dell G7 7700, i9 processor, 32 GB memory and SSD. Didn't have any issues yesterday. I would have to say it's an issue on Origin for so many people having the same issues.

Message 10 of 14 (3,008 Views)