Re: Filing A Compliant: Sims 3 Island Paradise

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Filing A Compliant: Sims 3 Island Paradise

★★★ Newbie

My name is Michelle, and I've been a loyal customer of Electronic Arts for over 15 years. I've been playing The Sims since the first version came out in the early 2000s, and have purchased each new iteration and the subsequent expansion packs ever since. I'm filing a formal complaint, as on May 23rd I purchased an expansion pack called Sims 3 Island Paradise through the EA origin store.

Within minutes of playing, the game began freezing and crashing to the point that it was unplayable. I've spent hours looking up troubleshoot options, reading community forums, and chatting with customer service to remedy the issue to no avail.

It is absolutely atrocious that the issues in the Sims 3 Island Paradise expansion pack were not publicly disclosed, and that it is still sold on the Origin store for profit. It is even more shameful that EA not only willingly sells the expansion pack, but refuses to allow refunds because it is solely an "expansion", and not a "game", despite the return request occurring within the 24 hour purchase window.

It is also terrible that your draconian policies force your customer service representatives, who want to help out customers, to say that despite wanting to help, it is beyond their jurisdiction. This experience has been extremely poor, and has left a lasting negative impression on my views of EA as a company. I would like to have a representative reach out to me to discuss the refund process.

Message 1 of 7 (850 Views)

@lafmaso  The problem with Island Paradise is the world itself, Isla Paradiso, which is so poorly made as to be unplayable on even the strongest computers.  The features of the pack work just fine and can be used in any world that has room for them and deep enough water.

If you'd like to play with IP, you can place the features you want in another world, or you can download a fixed version of Isla Paradiso and play there.  A player named ciane edited the world to make it run smoothly and put her work up for download on the official Sims forums.  She also documented the necessary fixes, in case you'd rather copy her work into your own game.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

I understand your desire to complian to someone official (which I most certainly am not), but there's really no one around to listen.  TS3 has been out of development for over five years now, and there's no evidence that anyone at EA is still working on the game, other than maintaining the store and the servers for the few online features.  My thoughts about how IP was handled aside, I think that EA's point would be that since the pack is usable, if you take any of the above steps, it's still a viable product.  You can disagree with that, but this is not the same as selling a completely defective pack.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (833 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Michelle--I know your post was from a year ago, but I just bought the expansion and have had the same problem you described since! It's awful.

How was your situation resolved?

Message 3 of 7 (738 Views)

@PejiLuv  The original poster never came back, but the information in the post above yours is still valid.  Let me know if you want help troubleshooting further.

Message 4 of 7 (711 Views)

★ Novice

Hi!

Thank you for coming to my aid. :-) Unfortunately, I don't have an EA Games folder--only Origin and Origin Games. Not sure what to do now other than uninstall the game and count it a loss.

I appreciate you!

Message 5 of 7 (680 Views)

@PejiLuv  The Origin Games folder is the equivalent, in an Origin install, to the EA Games folder that appears in a disc install.  As long as you find your way to the Sims 3 program files, the other directions should be the same.

And of course the Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts is the same in any kind of install, in Windows or macOS.

Message 6 of 7 (651 Views)

★ Novice

I really appreciate your efforts to help me. Each time I got to the point of extracting the files, I got a message stating the files were missing or corrupt. I’m exhausted with this so I uninstalled IP. I’m done! But thanks for your patience and the information you gave me. 

Message 7 of 7 (623 Views)