Re: Ever since I updated to Mac OS Catalina, Origin will not open

by khoegler00

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Ever since I updated to Mac OS Catalina, Origin will not open

★ Novice

I updated my mac to the newest OS (Catalina) and ever since, Origin will act like it's opening (icon bounces in the dock), and even the origin updating window starts, but then, suddenly, it just quits. I tried to uninstall and just download again, but now it says my Mac can't even open the application file. Is it something with my mac, or do I just have to wait for Origin to update to be compatible with OS Catalina? I'm just worried, because Origin couldn't even update completely before crashing. Help!

Message 1 of 17 (8,315 Views)

Accepted Solution

@kcswingit  Right-click (or hold down the crtl key and click) on the Origin download, and select Open.  You'll still get a message about Apple not being able to check it for malicious software, but you should have the option to open it anyway.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 17 (8,024 Views)

All Replies

@hurricanyounot  What does the error message say?  If it's something to the effect that it be opened because Apple can't check it for malicious software, you just need to manually override the security setting.  Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences, then Security & Privacy.  (For me, it's in the top row, third from the right.)  Under General, you should see a notification about any recently blocked app or download.  Click "open anyway," and you should be fine.  You may need to click the lock icon and input your computer password to make changes.

If the error message is different, please post a screenshot of it.

Message 2 of 17 (8,303 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Haven't been able to sims in weeks.... I hope they're all ok. :P

Message 3 of 17 (8,038 Views)

@kcswingit  Right-click (or hold down the crtl key and click) on the Origin download, and select Open.  You'll still get a message about Apple not being able to check it for malicious software, but you should have the option to open it anyway.

Message 4 of 17 (8,025 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

I have the same problem, and once I click open it starts to load but is just a white screen...

Message 5 of 17 (7,881 Views)

@khoegler00  Try running the Origin reset tool for macOS:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

And make sure you don't have any proxies enabled.  Here's how:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135932

If these steps don't help, please list your version of macOS.

Message 6 of 17 (7,866 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I have tried the above and still no luck. currently using macOS Catalina
Message 7 of 17 (7,747 Views)

@deaashkea  If Origin doesn't open at all, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences.  Under Security & Privacy, you should see a notice about Origin being blocked.  (If it's not there, quit System Preferences, try to open Origin again, and then go back and look.)  Click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the window, enter your password to make changes, then click the option to allow Origin to open anyway.

If Origin does open but doesn't work normally, there are a few other steps you can try, even after the reset and disabling proxies didn't work.  Sign into Origin using your full email address or just your username, whichever you haven't been doing.

Please also temporarily disconnect any USB devices, just to see whether it helps.

If these steps don't work, you can try the others in this Origin troubleshooting thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/m-p...

If nothing else makes a difference, create a new admin user account on your Mac (make sure the name uses only letters and numbers, no special characters), and try to login using that account.

Message 8 of 17 (7,717 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict The proxy it was. Thanks a million!! Couldn’t play in a while ...
Message 9 of 17 (5,617 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict I had to completely download the macOS Catalina software onto my old mac, than I used your tool above with disabling proxies for the origin software and everything is back and working! thanks! took a lot of effort but it worked!
Message 10 of 17 (4,391 Views)