Re: Error 3:0

by hgdftfrg

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I'm currently trying to setup Origin with Wine to run SIMS4 on my Linux laptop.

I kept seeing this error during installation, too. The log said

**31 [2017-11-04 11:18:48.647] Error Origin::ThinSetup::ErrorTransition::onTransition 377 ThinSetupController transtioning to error state: ThinSetup Error: kCreateDirectoryFailed (3:5:)
*** at PlatformHelpers_Win32.cpp:162 - Origin::ThinSetup::PlatformHelpers::createFolderPath - Unable to create folder path. SHCreateDirectoryEx Result = 5
*** at UpdateController.cpp:2451 - Origin::ThinSetup::UpdateController::copyUpdateFiles - Unable to create update target folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\legacyPM
*** at UpdateController.cpp:1080 - Origin::ThinSetup::UpdateController::copyStagedClientUpdateFiles - Unable to copy update files.
*** at ThinSetupController.cpp:839 - Origin::ThinSetup::ThinSetupController::onCopyUpdateData - Error when copying update data.

It turned out Origin created its installation destination directory and constantly turned its permissions to read-only. Thus the installation process was not able to create directories within this destination.

I wrote a little perl script watching this directory and fixing its permissions instantly:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use Linux::Inotify2;

my $inotify = new Linux::Inotify2 or die "unable to create new inotify object: $!";

my $file = q(/home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Origin/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin);
$inotify->watch ($file, IN_ACCESS, sub {
	chmod 0755, $file;
});
1 while $inotify->poll;

At least I was able to install Origin.

Message 21 of 40 (4,390 Views)

★★★ Novice
When I do that I get error code 3.0!
Message 22 of 40 (4,277 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey this reply is from years later ...sorry! so i got the same problem and i didn't know if you know know it would be nice for tips or help i have a windows 7 and i don't know if it's just my computer

Message 23 of 40 (4,057 Views)

★★★ Newbie

didnt work for me 

Message 24 of 40 (3,866 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I'm having this problem too...

Have you been able to fix it?

Message 25 of 40 (3,449 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Total POS. Origin won't install regardless of compatibility settings. Gawd I hate EA.

Message 26 of 40 (3,365 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i also keep getting that

Message 27 of 40 (3,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@KingMayukePC im really stupid and dont know how to do any of what all of you said is there like a youtube video or somthing so i can see wtf im doing
Message 28 of 40 (3,076 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If you choose a different destination other than default, and also if any of the folders that is in that destination you chose has non-English characters, you also get this error.

Message 29 of 40 (3,011 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

same

Message 30 of 40 (2,992 Views)