Re: EA resetting my password every time I have origin open on two computers

by Player_g05j1f3r

Original Post

EA resetting my password every time I have origin open on two computers

★★ Novice

This problem very irritating. I have origin on both my laptop and my desktop PC, and every time I happen to have origin open on both, EA resets my password. I do no want EA to reset my password without my permission, and cannot find a setting to change this. Please advise on which setting I need to change.

Thank you

Message 1 of 11 (2,744 Views)

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @Player_g05j1f3r but EA would not be resetting your password.

If your password is being reset then this could point to someone else having access to your account.

Do you need to do a password reset everytime you try to log into your EA account?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 11 (2,725 Views)

★★ Novice
I have roughly the same issue. Except maybe that I only run origin on one computer. Every time I run an Origin game, I get my password reset soon after, with the email from origin saying my password has been reset to protect my account. The email looks legit, and judging by the thread it is sent from the same address from which purchase confirmation is sent.
I'm always a bit paranoid about these things, and I thought someone hacked my account the first time it happened, but it turned out to be in one piece. The first time it happened was Dec 24, and it is now a recurring thing. It's really annoying, even if I don't play what games I have on origin that often.
Message 3 of 11 (2,693 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_Darko: Hi, in answer to your questions:

1. Every time the password is reset I receive an email from EA informing me of the reset, with the following message:

"We have reset your EA Account password. We know this is an inconvenience, and hope you recognize that we take the safety of your personal information seriously."

It seems legitimate to me but please advise if this is a scam email. So I think it is in fact EA that is resetting my password.

2. It is highly unlikely that some else has access to my account. I use keeweb password manager, with relatively difficult passwords and different passwords for each account. Even if someone did have access before, they would not continue to have access after the next 2 (or 3?) times that I have had to reset my password in the past month.

The timing is also telling. The reset happens quite literally the moment I log on to origin on my laptop while I'm logged on on my desktop.

3. No, I don't have to reset every time I log on. Only when I am logged on on both devices.

Thank you 

Message 4 of 11 (2,668 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, it started around then for me also and now it is almost weekly at the least.

Message 5 of 11 (2,660 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem.  Once a week I am logged out of Origin and this is the message:

"We have reset your EA Account password. We know this is an inconvenience, and hope you recognize that we take the safety of your personal information seriously."

I only have Origin on my PC, no other device.  Any idea why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Message 6 of 11 (2,512 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem here too, and with only one computer. I have to reset my password at least once a week; it's been twice this week already. It seems to have started after I turned on two part authentication, but that was also in December when others started having this problem too, so I don't know if it's related.

Message 7 of 11 (2,473 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey, anyone in this thread who is getting their password force-reset intermittently and *does not* have Origin loaded on two computers:

Me too. 

After a lot of time spent on the phone with support, I've discovered that it's because of repeated failed login attempts from the other side of the planet.  Reading between the lines:  some dude in Thailand knows my EA username, and every few days they try to guess my password.  EA resets the password every time they fail, even though the extra security settings on my account should prevent them from doing anything even if they succeed. 

It seems like the *only* way to get these to stop might be to change the email address associated with your account.

Message 8 of 11 (2,462 Views)

★★ Novice

This is happening to me too.

I have origin on my my desktop and laptop, but if I am logged on in one I am not logged on the other.  I can play a game, then if I click the link to check something on my account in the browser, or log off one machine and logon the other, I get the email shortly after saying that my password has been reset.  

It happens very frequently and is more than just an inconvience.

Anyone know why it happens and how to stop it?

Message 9 of 11 (2,390 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. I'm 72 yrs. (young) AND have short term memory to boot.  So I spend a lot of time trying to remember how I opened it in the first place.  And having to come up with a new acceptable passcode every time I log is causing me anxiety.

Message 10 of 11 (739 Views)