EA account linking to a new Xbox Account

by tmase83

Original Post

Re: EA account linking to a new Xbox Account

★ Guide

@Scrpzr wrote:

I have been "Waiting for chat" for 4 hours. No response. 
I have tweeted to @eahelp with my questions for 2 days, no response. 
In this forum I get no response.

Why is this issue not escalated? Can any EA representative let us know what the reasoning is behind this?

At this point I’m wondering if it makes sense to also rope in some Microsoft folks. They do have a business arrangement that I’m guessing involves a whole lot of money. Maybe they can point us to a tier of support above “useless”. 

Message 41 of 392 (1,983 Views)

★★ Guide

@thekurse wrote:

@Scrpzr wrote:

Why is this issue not escalated? Can any EA representative let us know what the reasoning is behind this?

At this point I’m wondering if it makes sense to also rope in some Microsoft folks. They do have a business arrangement that I’m guessing involves a whole lot of money. Maybe they can point us to a tier of support above “useless”. 

It absolutely does. I don't know if they can help, but they can't hurt.

Message 42 of 392 (1,980 Views)

★ Guide

@-6thAD-Bogard wrote:

@thekurse wrote:

@Scrpzr wrote:

It absolutely does. I don't know if they can help, but they can't hurt.

I’ve DM’d Megan Spurr on Reddit, who is the gamepass evangelist for Microsoft. Here is the text I’ve sent her: 

Hi Megan. First off, I would like to let you know that Gamepass is an amazing deal and that you have been a fantastic evangelist for Microsoft and it’s services. Because of that, I have come to you for help.

Myself and many other gamers are running into issues linking our current Xbox accounts with our EA accounts. Essentially it boils down to this: we are attempting to link a second Xbox account to an EA account after unlinking a previous Xbox account from EA. EA’s policy is that we may only link one Xbox account to an EA account for its lifetime, which is causing problems for those of us that have had long time EA accounts and may have lost access to our old Xbox accounts. We’ve attempted to contact EA’s support through a variety of means and have been stonewalled at every attempt.

Here is the EA AnswerHQ thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/EA-account-linking-to-a-new-Xbox-Account/m-p/1...

Here is the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/m815h4/ea_accounts_can_only_ever_have_one_xbox_accoun...

At this point we’re turning to you to see if there are any other avenues we can pursue that will be able to fix this issue. Many of us are long time gamers with EA and Xbox accounts dating back 10+ years. I know it’s a long shot but I’m asking for some sort of guidance here. Thanks Megan!

Message 43 of 392 (1,968 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Thanks for taking the time to send the message. Hopefully something will come of it.

This is what Microsoft says:

Contact EA customer support for account linking and unlinking help

Note Selecting “Revoke Access” for Xbox in the “Connected Account” section of https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/aboutme/index will only revoke Xbox's access to your EA information; however, your EA account will remain linked to that Xbox account. You need to contact EA customer support to properly unlink your Xbox and EA accounts.

So I need to contact EA customer support to properly unlink my Xbox and EA accounts. So does Microsoft have false information?
Anyone?

Message 44 of 392 (1,934 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Scrpzr wrote:

So I need to contact EA customer support to properly unlink my Xbox and EA accounts. So does Microsoft have false information?
Anyone?

That's the thing, the unlinking isn't the issue, several people can do that without EA Support assistance. It's the relinking to another Xbox account that is the trouble. I don't think EA Support channels fully comprehend that part of it. 

Thanks @thekurse for pushing this along. You are better connected than me!

I see EAHelp on twitter answering other people's queries but so far I've not had a response. 

Message 45 of 392 (1,915 Views)

★★ Guide

@tmase83 wrote:

@Scrpzr wrote:

Anyone?

That's the thing, the unlinking isn't the issue, several people can do that without EA Support assistance. It's the relinking to another Xbox account that is the trouble. I don't think EA Support channels fully comprehend that part of it. 

I see EAHelp on twitter answering other people's queries but so far I've not had a response. 

I was able to get a response from EAHelp, but the long and short of it is this:

"That restriction is not one I can override, but it's one we're looking into to see if any other options would be possible in the future. For now, you may not be able to link to the same account you prefer. We'll note your feedback and keep investigating any future solutions if possible."

Hopefully if we keep asking for a solution they can find one.

Message 46 of 392 (1,862 Views)

★ Guide

@-6thAD-Bogard wrote:

@tmase83 wrote:

@Scrpzr wrote:

Anyone?

I was able to get a response from EAHelp, but the long and short of it is this:

"That restriction is not one I can override, but it's one we're looking into to see if any other options would be possible in the future. For now, you may not be able to link to the same account you prefer. We'll note your feedback and keep investigating any future solutions if possible."

Hopefully if we keep asking for a solution they can find one.

That sounds like the biggest cop out corporate speak response they could give you. I really really hate it when they say things like “we’ll take your feedback into consideration” and “we’ll investigate future solutions”. I mean, feel free to do that, but to the customers that you are currently leaving high and dry it sounds more like “Stop asking for this basic thing, go away, we don’t care”. 

There has to be someone in the company somewhere that can at least give us a straight answer of why this policy exists in the first place and why they are unwilling to help out their customers with this seemingly simple request.

I mean, is their database schema so convoluted that when you link accounts it creates some sort of wild foreign key constraints that require them to call Raul from a contracting company they haven’t used in years and have him sign in and untangle the data for $200 an hour? 

Or is it just that Dave from accounting was in a meeting 8 years ago and came up with a line graph that said users with multiple accounts spend more money and the board went “wow nice graph Dave, let’s make this policy and go grab a couple of vodka Red Bull’s after”? 

Message 47 of 392 (1,843 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@-6thAD-Bogard i got the same kind of response, and they also said this, not sure if its true or not:

"Thanks for the DM! We've been seeing this reported a lot today, so we're having it looked into. You're able to link multiple Xbox accounts to one EA Account on a normal day, but we believe this is due to the recent addition of EA Play to Game Pass PC + Ultimate on the console. "
Message 48 of 392 (1,831 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
I contacted a twitter user who somehow had 2 Xbox accounts linked to his EA account.
He contacted EAhelp and they asked him to DM them, so I asked him how it ended.

"Hey. Well I actually somehow had two accounts linked, an old one and my current one. So I hopped into a DM with the EA help account and they simply removed the old one, and now everything works fine and as expected.
I didn’t add a new account while in contact with EA— they just unlinked the old Xbox account, because the “unlink” button wasn’t available in my account settings."

This does sound like the above answer is correct. On a normal day you can add multiple Xbox accounts to one EA account.

So EA can apparently add 2 Xbox accounts to one EA account.
If they can add 2, and remove one. What's keeping EA from solving this issue we're facing?
This is purely unwillingness.

Pic added is the convo.

Message 49 of 392 (1,807 Views)

★★★ Guide

It sure does sound like that. Having worked in big companies half the battle is finding the right person among the many that can solve your issue, this twitter user might have struck the right person. I'm sure this can be resolved.

Pleased to see someone got a response from EA Help on twitter, I haven't heard a peep. I tweeted them again;

https://twitter.com/Tim20802273/status/1373910961355071488

I figure if they haven't replied to my original tweet after 24 hours then they aren't likely to!

Message 50 of 392 (1,797 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

Troubleshoot issues with EA Play

Get help with The Play List, your discount, DLC, and more.

Check here for answers.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help