Re: EA account linking to a new Xbox Account

by Veyken

Original Post

★★ Guide

@raz3rITA wrote:
@-6thAD-Bogardwhat? seriously?

Unfortunately. I wouldn't want to wait six months for a solution anyway, but for all we know this may take longer. Or may not happen at all. I play Apex Legends everyday, I have played thousands of hours of Battlefield games and intend to play BF6 on this account. I do not think juggling two accounts is a reasonable solution, and I wish they'd at least acknowledge that they'll work on an alternative for us.

Message 141 of 392 (1,249 Views)

★★★ Guide

@-6thAD-Bogard wrote:

Unfortunately. I wouldn't want to wait six months for a solution anyway, but for all we know this may take longer. Or may not happen at all. I play Apex Legends everyday, I have played thousands of hours of Battlefield games and intend to play BF6 on this account. I do not think juggling two accounts is a reasonable solution, and I wish they'd at least acknowledge that they'll work on an alternative for us.

Just to rub salt into the wound, I keep hearing rumours that BF6, or whatever they decide to call it, will be available on EA Play via Xbox Game Pass. But will we be able to access it that way? No, not unless either this issue is resolved, or we bow to this ridiculous ‘solution’ that means we create a second EA account, or, perhaps most ironically, pay full retail for the title just to have the privilege of using our existing EA account.

It must have been well over a month since I raised this issue, there’s been no progress that we have been made aware of and precious little communication.

Message 142 of 392 (1,238 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I wanted to throw my hat in the ring about this issue.

I initially mis-linked another Steam account to my EA account, and never noticed. That was until I purchased It Takes Two to play with my girlfriend. I went to launch from Steam and Origin told me I had a different Steam account linked so I couldn't open the game.
So I went to my EA account page, un-linked the Steam account and attempted to link my current Steam to my EA account only to be met with the error message stating I can only have one Steam account linked to my EA Account in my EA accounts lifetime.

While looking online for a solution I found this thread and spent the next 2 hours reading it in it's entirety. It's abysmal that EA forces you to launch Origin even though a game was bought on a different Platform. If I wanted to play the game on Origin I would have purchased it through Origin. On top of that, the also abysmal policy of only linking one account per type (Steam, Xbox, PSN) to an EA account.

Even if one of the other repliers is right about key exploiting being the issue for this change in policy, EA should have given their support team the tools to fix it from their end.

I hope this issue gets resolved soon so I don't have to refund this game since me and my girlfriend are both excited about it. But I don't have high hopes considering the silence from EA Staff members here but also EA's track record.

I would have opened my own thread before finding this one, which I'm glad I did because I agree with everyones sentiment here that the more concentrated noise the better. Even if the platforms trying to be linked are different, it's better to be all in one place.

Message 143 of 392 (1,180 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'll add my name to the list of people who linked an old XBL account that doesn't exist anymore and now can't link my current one. Really wish I could use Game Pass with my new PC.

Message 144 of 392 (1,084 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@RevenantEverest wrote:

I initially mis-linked another Steam account to my EA account, and never noticed. That was until I purchased It Takes Two to play with my girlfriend. I went to launch from Steam and Origin told me I had a different Steam account linked so I couldn't open the game.
So I went to my EA account page, un-linked the Steam account and attempted to link my current Steam to my EA account only to be met with the error message stating I can only have one Steam account linked to my EA Account in my EA accounts lifetime.

It's people in your situation, that have accidently linked an incorrect Steam or Xbox account to their EA account, that have a right to feel particularly aggrieved. It was never bought to my attention at the the time that the two accounts were connected that this was an irrevocable process. My old Xbox account and EA account were allegedly linked some time ago, so the information provided at the time might be clearer now, but I have my doubts.

The whole linking thing, and its ramifications are not made clear. I certainly had no idea at the time what opening an EA title on an Xbox console back around 2014 would cause such issues today. People get accounts hacked and loose access to emails, and corporate data breaches are a regular occurrence (I'm sure EA has not been immune to this). So not to have a process that would allow people to register a new account (Steam, Xbox or otherwise), link it to an existing EA account and discard a hacked or compromised one in this day and age is pretty unbelievable.

Worse perhaps is the distinct lack of feedback, but then again I have found threads relating to account linking and unlinking in various forms going back to at least September 2012. Whilst I understand that this issue would rely on EA reaching an agreement with a host of companies (Microsoft/Valve/Epic/Amazon) to resolve some of these one time restrictions on various types of account linking, some feedback beyond the generic "We've passed this along to our teams" would go a long way to engendering a sense to the community that we were in fact being listened to, or at least having some degree of lip service paid to us.

Message 145 of 392 (1,065 Views)

★ Guide

@tmase83 wrote:

@RevenantEverest wrote:

It's people in your situation, that have accidently linked an incorrect Steam or Xbox account to their EA account, that have a right to feel particularly aggrieved. It was never bought to my attention at the the time that the two accounts were connected that this was an irrevocable process. My old Xbox account and EA account were allegedly linked some time ago, so the information provided at the time might be clearer now, but I have my doubts.

The whole linking thing, and its ramifications are not made clear. I certainly had no idea at the time what opening an EA title on an Xbox console back around 2014 would cause such issues today. People get accounts hacked and loose access to emails, and corporate data breaches are a regular occurrence (I'm sure EA has not been immune to this). So not to have a process that would allow people to register a new account (Steam, Xbox or otherwise), link it to an existing EA account and discard a hacked or compromised one in this day and age is pretty unbelievable.

Worse perhaps is the distinct lack of feedback, but then again I have found threads relating to account linking and unlinking in various forms going back to at least September 2012. Whilst I understand that this issue would rely on EA reaching an agreement with a host of companies (Microsoft/Valve/Epic/Amazon) to resolve some of these one time restrictions on various types of account linking, some feedback beyond the generic "We've passed this along to our teams" would go a long way to engendering a sense to the community that we were in fact being listened to, or at least having some degree of lip service paid to us.

From what the EA representatives have told us, this is a recent policy that affects all accounts.  So more than likely when you originally linked your steam/xbox/playstation/etc accounts to your EA account, this wasn't a policy (or it was a soft policy that could get reversed by their CSR teams).  Not only is this policy absolute anti-consumer garbage, but it is a recent policy that fundamentally affects your account that was not in existence when most of us did the link, thus no communication that this was the case.  What irks me even more is that they make these policies quietly and did not send out even an email saying "Hey, this policy is coming, maybe you should unlink now and link your new xbox account while you still can!".  

We're all still sitting here waiting for anything from EA other than "We've given your feedback to our teams (lol good luck)". 

Message 146 of 392 (1,017 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I don't recall getting an notification that the terms of service for Origin have been altered, certainly not one that I actively agreed to.

Other firms are better at pushing ToS changes and explaining them in lay terms to end users.

I'd be curious to know where the conditions are stated regarding account linking are located, and when and how we agreed to them.

No doubt some EULA  contains the (unenforceable IMO) statement that the conditions of the agreement are subject to change without notice. 

Message 147 of 392 (998 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Adding myself to the list of people in the same boat..

I seem to have linked it to an old account on xbox360 which I do not use and have not used for many many years.

I really hope EA offers a solution, but I highly doubt it.

Message 148 of 392 (977 Views)

★★ Guide

It's May. EA, please.

Message 149 of 392 (849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Yeah just tried to link my Xbox and EA accounts this morning to get the same lifetime error.  Was hoping maybe they quietly snuck in a fix but nope.   

Only reason I thought this was that I popped my Xbox app open and saw all of my installed EA games show up in the sidebar as installed.  "Oh neat!" I thought, with the idea that maybe my accounts were finally linked.  Nope.  Not the case.

Womp womp.

Message 150 of 392 (778 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

Troubleshoot issues with EA Play

Get help with The Play List, your discount, DLC, and more.

Check here for answers.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help