Re: EA account linking to a new Xbox Account

by thekurse

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

Same problem here, old xbox account linked to my actual EA account.

Unlinked but still can't link a new one, and the EA chat isn't helping.

I'm not bringing help sorry, just another voice to help this thread not passing away.

I ,honnestly, really don't understand how can "this" be a problem in 2021 ...

( Added information: I'm french and it was pretty hard to find THIS topic, I came from reddit and can't find any other information about the problem elswhere )

Message 71 of 392 (1,672 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Jason wrote:

But that's what I said @-6thAD-Bogard:

"another Xbox Account was linked to the EA Account that you played Origin Games on. Now you can't link your Xbox Account to your active EA account and you'll have to manage 2 or 3 EA Accounts to make full use of EA Play through the Xbox Game pass on EA Desktop. From what I've seen here, you don't really think that's ideal."

With that I meant that you'd much rather have your main EA Account, that you use to play PC games, linked to your main Xbox account instead of using multiple accounts. Yes, the bottleneck is obviously that only one Xbox Account can be linked per EA Account lifetime and that's the feedback that I'll be passing on to the right teams. 

Hey @EA_Jason.  Is there any particular reason this policy changed?  It sounds like it's not a "technical" limitation like some of your support have told us since it was possible a few years back and there are still players able to remove links to old Xbox accounts via your support staff.  From the customers' view it comes off as an arbitrary limitation that penalizes us for being long time customers and very much de-incentivizes us from making any purchases at all from these "empty accounts" we have to create just to get the functionality we are paying for via Gamepass.

Also, is this limitation just for Xbox accounts?  Or could I run into this in the future if I ever end up with say, a new Playstation account and I need to unlink my existing one for whatever reason? 

Message 72 of 392 (1,718 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same issue. I'm a PC guy, I used a 360 for about a month 10 years ago. I unlinked that old account with no problems.

I've had my Origin account since it launched, I don't need or want another one.

I have Game Pass on PC and just want to access the added EA Play. Trying to install the games I've paid the sub for, I get this;

Linked Accounts Found
Your accounts can’t be linked because the EA Account for GRUFFGAMES was previously linked to the Xbox account for DEAD 360 ACC. An EA Account can only be linked to one Xbox account in its lifetime.

Absurd policy.

Message 73 of 392 (1,716 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

The idea that this is a new policy just makes this even more frustrating. You're telling us that this wasn't a policy 10-15 years ago, when most of these accounts were linked? But these long standing accounts are being punished for not complying with a policy that didn't exist in 2008? Incredibly frustrating. I thought this was at least partly user error, but if these are policies that changed on us over the last several years, it's not.

And if these things can change: how about changing them for affected users who are obviously not doing anything nefarious.

Message 74 of 392 (1,715 Views)

★ Guide

@-6thAD-Bogard wrote:

The idea that this is a new policy just makes this even more frustrating. You're telling us that this wasn't a policy 10-15 years ago, when most of these accounts were linked? But these long standing accounts are being punished for not complying with a policy that didn't exist in 2008? Incredibly frustrating. I thought this was at least partly user error, but if these are policies that changed on us over the last several years, it's not.

And if these things can change: how about changing them for affected users who are obviously not doing anything nefarious.

This.  1000x this.

Message 75 of 392 (1,706 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have given up and I'm getting my old account transferred to a new account. Kat from @EAHelp has been super helpful

We can thank people like the spiffing brit for this policy. IT's there to prevent people generating thousands of keys to sell on scummy sites like G2A by exploiting the linking system, for anyone that's wondering.

Message 76 of 392 (1,698 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Mephiston wrote:

I have given up and I'm getting my old account transferred to a new account. Kat from @EAHelp has been super helpful

I'm glad that works for you, but I have decades of Battlefield stats as well as a load of Apex stats and content that apparently will not transfer. That's not a solution that's going to work for many of us. This account has content on it that won't transfer that I actually care about. And I'm sure the support staff is doing their best. This isn't their fault, but I wish someone that could help us would chime in.

Message 77 of 392 (1,696 Views)

★ Guide

@-6thAD-Bogard wrote:

@Mephiston wrote:

I'm glad that works for you, but I have decades of Battlefield stats as well as a load of Apex stats and content that apparently will not transfer. That's not a solution that's going to work for many of us. This account has content on it that won't transfer that I actually care about.

Yeah same here.  Also... how is this less work for their support staff than just removing the link to our old Xbox accounts?  This seems absurd.  

Message 78 of 392 (1,688 Views)

★ Apprentice

I agree with both of you. I'm losing all the account data and friends list data I've had since battlefield 3 was released.

I'm not happy about it, but its for games that I have not played in many years so I'm happy to start fresh if I ever need to.

I meant what I said about why this is happening, and people exploiting the system. I'm sure once EA fix people exploiting the key system, they'll loosen up the rules.

Message 79 of 392 (1,683 Views)

★★ Guide

@Mephiston wrote:

I agree with both of you. I'm losing all the account data and friends list data I've had since battlefield 3 was released.

I'm not happy about it, but its for games that I have not played in many years so I'm happy to start fresh if I ever need to.

I meant what I said about why this is happening, and people exploiting the system. I'm sure once EA fix people exploiting the key system, they'll loosen up the rules.

That's just too extreme for me. Literally thousands of hours of Battlefield that I'm not giving up for a fresh account. I am sure there's a legitimate reason for their policy too, but I just don't see why they wouldn't work towards a solution for users that clearly are not doing anything nefarious. This isn't an issue that's likely to come up that often. This is only a thing because of their partnership with Microsoft.

Message 80 of 392 (1,671 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

Troubleshoot issues with EA Play

Get help with The Play List, your discount, DLC, and more.

Check here for answers.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help