EA Refuses to Refund Currency Stolen by Hacker

by dtow5

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Refuses to Refund Currency Stolen by Hacker

★★★ Newbie

I spent a few hours this morning with an EA help consultant regarding my Apex Legends account which was hacked. During the 12 hours when this hacker had access to my account, he/she spent all of my in game currency, including premium currency which can only be purchased with real money. The EA consultant who I spoke with this morning refused to restore my in-game currency.

Since my experience this morning, I have read several other posts on this forum, reddit, and other forums involving similar stories. It is ridiculous that EA has a strict policy against restoring in-game credits that were fraudulently spent. I am unaware of any other gaming company that has a similar policy. For example, a few years ago numerous Riot accounts were hacked and in-game credit was spent. Riot refunded all of that in-game credit PLUS a little extra as an apology for the hack.

EA's policy on restoring in-game credits creates no incentive for EA to protect user data and prevent hacks. EA is the only entity that wins when an account is hacked. I am out my in-game credit which I purchased with real money. The hacker no longer has access to my account, so he/she cannot benefit from the in-game purchases he/she made. The only entity that benefits is EA assuming I decide to spend more money to replace my stolen in-game credits.

This policy needs to be changed. EA should stand behind its security protocols by restoring in-game currency that is fraudulently spent. Otherwise, there is no incentive for EA to ensure that its security protocols are effective. In fact, the current policy incentivizes EA to negligently maintain its security to generate additional revenue.

As an EA stockholder, I am embarrassed by this policy. As an EA customer, I am frustrated by this policy. I will be selling my EA stocks this morning, and I will not be spending any additional money on EA products until this policy is changed. The fraudulent spending of my in-game credits only set me back $30, but I have read plenty of stories from other users who have lost significantly more. For the sake of EA's customers, I hope others will join me in the effort to force change. 

Message 1 of 4 (826 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA Refuses to Refund Currency Stolen by Hacker

Community Manager

Hey @dtow5 we are not able to assist with account issues on AHQ, for issues such as this you will need to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To  speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to begin a chat or request a call back.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (818 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @dtow5 we are not able to assist with account issues on AHQ, for issues such as this you will need to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To  speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to begin a chat or request a call back.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 4 (819 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@EA_Darko , I attempted your solution. Here is what the chat support advisers said:

The EA Helpline is the only line of contact our players have to communicate with us and on our end we don't have any options to help with the the missing contents for Apex legends. I can understand how upsetting it can be for you, however as much as I wish to help, we don't have any options.

Message 3 of 4 (807 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @dtow5 if our live support have advised that there is nothing that they can do then I'm sorry to say that there is nothing that we can do on AHQ to change that.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 4 of 4 (788 Views)