Re: EA Desktop start with windows

by MajEstRupcius

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Desktop start with windows

★★★ Newbie

Is there any way I could make the EA Desktop app open with windows? I use origin but only because of Apex Legends and I wanted to know if it were possible since I can start up Apex in EA Desktop as well. If I can't do it now since it's beta, will there be an option in the future?

Message 1 of 7 (6,935 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @AnonymousSignal I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko 

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (6,900 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @AnonymousSignal I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 7 (6,901 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko Did this happen? I can't find the auto start or start minimised in the settings.
Message 3 of 7 (6,196 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @MajorTomG as EA Desktop is still in Beta then changes are being made all the time. I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 7 (6,137 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi, any updates on this yet???

Message 5 of 7 (5,967 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

So I am tired of waiting and did this:

######

# based on this support article from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-app-to-run-automatically-at-startup-in-windows-10...

- Select the Start button and scroll to find the app you want to run at startup.

- Right-click the app, select More, and then select Open file location. This opens the location where the shortcut to the app is saved. If there isn't an option for Open file location, it means the app can't run at startup.

- With the file location open, press the Windows logo key + R, type shell:startup, then select OK. This opens the Startup folder.

- Copy and paste the shortcut to the app from the file location to the Startup folder.

######

So what you do after you "Open file location" and "shell:startup", you hold ctrl+shift and drag the EADesktop.exe file to the startup folder window.

That will create the shortcut. Then you right click on the shortcut, open "Properties" and in the "Run" menu you select "Minimized".

Not the perfect solution (as the main window remains open, although minimized and you can close it), but almost how it should be until EA adds the proper option.

I can't believe you haven't added yet such a simple and needed feature to this app...

Message 6 of 7 (5,958 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

That is actually wrong.

The correct folder to put the shortcut is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

And not the one opened by the shell:startup command as suggested in the Microsoft support article...

When you click on "Open file location" it will be startup folder right there, only a few lines below the EA folder that opened. Just copy/paste or drag the "EA Desktop" shortcut to that startup folder. Unfortunately, the "minimized" option doesn't work from there and as soon as you login the EA Desktop window will pop-up, but then you can safely close it.

So to simplify things, if you used the defaults when installing, simply open C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\EA and copy the "EA Desktop" shortcut to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp (this will probably ask you to "continue" as it an administrative change, and restart the computer. That's it.

No point in marking it to start minimized as it won't make difference and the window will pop-up regardless after you login to your computer.

Message 7 of 7 (5,952 Views)