Downloading old games

by ang135

Original Post

Downloading old games

★★ Novice

I am downloading several old games to a different computer from the one I played them on before. This has Windows 10. Kingdoms of Amalur seemed to download, then stopped when finalizing, but that seems to have sorted itself out by clearing the cache. Next up was Red Alert, which is OK. Then Dragon Age 2. This is where it gets complicated. The download reached finalizing then came up with an error that asked for a report, which I gave, but refused to leave the screen, ignoring my attempt to close. But I could see in the background that the download of DLC was in process, and this duly finished. I had to close Origin  and reopen it to be able to do anything. It did not recognise that DA2 had been installed.

Next in the queue was Nox. This also reached finalizing, but then gave me a similar error box, but this time said it was a DirectX error. Although it seemed to complete, again the installation was not recognised. 

Until now games have downloaded and played without incident.

I am disappointed that I have to clear out the caches manually. Is there a better way to do this?

Also, are there generally problems with DirectX for these old games?

Message 1 of 3 (266 Views)

Re: Downloading old games

Community Manager

Bit of an odd one I have to say @ang135

Can I ask if you would be able to share the error message with us, generally they are quite to the point regards the issue and help narrow the cause down.

That said the best thing to do for issues such as you describe is to clear the Origin cache. It won't take more than a couple of minutes but it can solve a lot of issues you may run into.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (233 Views)

Re: Downloading old games

★★ Novice

As I say in my question, I have been clearing the caches - that is what enabled me to get some of these working. I have since had a quick play of Kingdoms of Amalur, Red Alert and Jade Empire and these show no problems yet.

However, Dragon Age 2, Tiberium Wars, Nox and Trine all seem to fail at the end with a DirectX Setup error.  DA2 and Nox never had a problem on my old computer, which had Vista.

I have been clearing the caches after each download. I have yet to try DA1 and DA3, which were also fine on the old PC. My little grandson would like to see Varric again.

Message 3 of 3 (197 Views)