Re: Disconnected: critical update required

by Tig77s

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Disconnected: critical update required

★★★ Newbie

Every time I start the client I get disconnected and Origin demand me to restart the client in order for the update to start but when

I start the client again the exact same thing happens..

Origin starts, "Disconnected: critical update required.", I press "restart now". Origin restarts and same message over and over again: "Disconnected: critical update required."

PLEASE note, I have tried the following: 

Shut down any firewall or antivirus.

1. Go to control panel.
2. Go to Internet options.
3. Click the connections tab and at the bottom of the window click on LAN SETTINGS.
4. uncheck the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
5. Click Apply.
6. Close Origin restart the program and computer.

Also you can try to go to your appdata: %appdata%\..\local and ..\roaming and delete the Origin folders, restart your PC and now try and login again.

If the issue persists, delete the Origin Offline Cache file.

1. Close Origin completely by right clicking the Origin system tray icon and selecting Exit.
  2. Navigate to the Offline Cache file.
    • Win 7/Vista/Win8: C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\
    • Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Electronic Arts\Origin\DownloadCache\

Note: These files might be hidden, if so, press Alt, select Tools, then Folder Options.  
Select the View tab, then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

1. Delete the Offline Cache file.
  2. Reset the Windows Host File: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
  3. Reboot your computer.
  4. Run Origin and login.
Message 1 of 13 (50,201 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

UPDATE:  I solved it.  By deleting the \AppData\Local\Origin\Web Cache folder, then restarting Origin twice, the problem seems to be solved.

I have also tried all the steps outlined by the original poster and it hasn't helped.

I cannot reinstall because I'm using Windows Vista SP2 64-bit and your new installers require Windows 7.  I was told by EA (https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/operating-system-not-supported-by-origin/) that I would still be able to play and download my games with Origin even after Vista support has been dropped for new updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

View in thread

Message 4 of 13 (53,830 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Download new installer from https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/download uninstall old and install new. Everything is working right now.

Message 2 of 13 (50,103 Views)

Community Manager

@DemolitionM8 Please try reinstall mentioned. 

If the issue persists, what Operating System are you using?

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 13 (50,030 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

UPDATE:  I solved it.  By deleting the \AppData\Local\Origin\Web Cache folder, then restarting Origin twice, the problem seems to be solved.

I have also tried all the steps outlined by the original poster and it hasn't helped.

I cannot reinstall because I'm using Windows Vista SP2 64-bit and your new installers require Windows 7.  I was told by EA (https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/operating-system-not-supported-by-origin/) that I would still be able to play and download my games with Origin even after Vista support has been dropped for new updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 13 (53,831 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried all the forum suggestions without success.  I did resolve the problem by the following method.

1. I uninstalled Origin via Control Panel Programs and Features.

2. I then went online to try and install Origin but could not get it, I could just view a partial page and non of the headings would give me access to anything.

3. I then went to my downloads where I had my original version and clicked "Application" in the files which installed it and also installed an update of some 130mb.

4. Pinned a shortcut to the task bar, clicked on it and a whole new Origin Home Page appeared. 

5. Clicked on my game and all is well again, hooray.

Hope this method helps everyone out there.  Cheers, Greg

Message 5 of 13 (49,906 Views)

★★★ Novice

Tried deleting that folder and when I try to start origin I repeatedly get this error.

Your update could not be completed. Please download and install the latest version of origin from Https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/originsetup.exe.

I try this update and it fails.

I try and install with older version of OriginThinSetup and it says I need an internet connection to complete.

You guys seriously need to make a cleanup tool that will completely remove all this * so a clean install is possible.  Uninstall should remove everything but apparently origin does not. After running "uninstall" for origin I had to manually search my drive to find several origin directories still on my computer and still in my registry. WHY?

This is getting very aggravating. 

Message 6 of 13 (49,757 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I've struggled with this all Christmas then updated my origin and now it all works again hope this helps
Message 7 of 13 (48,356 Views)

★★★ Newbie

THIS! 

I installed the newest Origin client, without installing the old one, and everything seems to be working now. Thanks to the above for the recommendations. 

Message 8 of 13 (48,130 Views)

★★★ Newbie

whenever I delete the file it  just comes back. Please help!

Message 9 of 13 (45,018 Views)

★ Novice

Two weeks of struggling, then I found your answer. Thank you!

Message 10 of 13 (43,823 Views)