Constant Origin Client Update Error, cannot access games

by prot8to

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Constant Origin Client Update Error, cannot access games

★★★★ Apprentice

It seems like every week there's an Origin client update that is required for access to my account and every single time it gives me error codes. I can't play any of my games until I perform the update and it has never once updated successfully. I'm getting really sick of this.

I get error code 9:0 every single time there's an update. If I try to run as administrator then I get error 16:-1 or 23:11. I try restarting when it tells me to, no luck. I try disabling my virus scan, nothing. My account is admin and it complains the OS isn't giving it access to write files. What kind of shady code do you have to elicit that type of error? What are you attempting to write to that my admin account wouldn't directly have permission to edit?

Every time this happens I have to completely uninstall Origin client and manually remove all Origin related files then install from scratch over and over until it works. Of course it doesn't always work and often I get some other error. I've combed through answers and found zero definitive solutions to this and EA has yet to actually fix the problem.

I'm starting to think I should demand a refund for my origin premier access since your client is required for me to access any games and it breaks and denies me access to my games weekly and often can take hours before I get it working again. Fix your garbage application. This issue has gone on for a long time. This never happens with any other platform's app and I've found dozens of tickets relating to this with zero actual solutions that aren't temporary or unhelpful.

Message 1 of 3 (1,528 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Constant Origin Client Update Error, cannot access games

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @prot8to.

Looking at your errors and the first one Error 9.0 means that your OS is stopping Origin from modifying files. This can also be related to your anti-virus, malware of firewall program so it's worth disabling all three.

Likewise, Error 16:1 points to an issue with the same three programs interfering.  

If disabling them does not fix the issue then I would recommend trying the following steps:

1. Try re-installing Origin:
    1. Close the Origin client.
    2. Open the Control Panel (find it by searching “Control Panel” in the Start menu).
    3. Click on Uninstall a program under Programs.
    4. Click on Originand uninstall.
    5. Reinstall Origin.

Try running Origin as an administrator:

2. Right-click the Origin client icon on your desktop (or in the Origin directory if not on your desktop) and click Run As Administrator.

This runs the Origin client as an administrator account, and should let the game  install.

Try lowering the User Access Control settings:

2. Click the Windowsbutton and type "UAC" in the search field. 
  3. In the User Access Control window, click and hold the slide bar —slide it to the lowest setting available. 
  4. Click Okat the bottom of the window. 
  5. Open the Origin client

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,494 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @prot8to.

Looking at your errors and the first one Error 9.0 means that your OS is stopping Origin from modifying files. This can also be related to your anti-virus, malware of firewall program so it's worth disabling all three.

Likewise, Error 16:1 points to an issue with the same three programs interfering.  

If disabling them does not fix the issue then I would recommend trying the following steps:

1. Try re-installing Origin:
    2. Open the Control Panel (find it by searching “Control Panel” in the Start menu).
    3. Click on Uninstall a program under Programs.
    4. Click on Originand uninstall.
    5. Reinstall Origin.

Try running Origin as an administrator:

2. Right-click the Origin client icon on your desktop (or in the Origin directory if not on your desktop) and click Run As Administrator.

This runs the Origin client as an administrator account, and should let the game  install.

Try lowering the User Access Control settings:

2. Click the Windowsbutton and type "UAC" in the search field. 
  3. In the User Access Control window, click and hold the slide bar —slide it to the lowest setting available. 
  4. Click Okat the bottom of the window. 
  5. Open the Origin client

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (1,495 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, I had the problem too. I am the admin and I can't delete the orgin folder in program files.

It says the files are in use by origin.exe, but when I go to task manager I can't see origin.exe.
So, I installed process explorer and found the process origin.exe there. I was able to kill the process and finally delete the Origin folder from program files. Try this method, it might work Standard smile

Message 3 of 3 (1,351 Views)