Cannot update Origin: Code 9:5

by AlphredGlitchdoc

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cannot update Origin: Code 9:5

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I've been having problems updating the Origin client on Windows 10. So far, I have tried everything in this post and, when those instructions failed (I got error 9:5 from a freshly-downloaded Origin installer instead of 9:0 from the old client), I tried to follow the directions here. However, I apparently don't have administrator privileges on my computer, so I couldn't delete the Origin folder from Program Files (x86); because of this, I decided not to mess with the Registry Editor before being told to do so for fear of messing up my computer. I am listed as an Administrator under Settings -> Accounts -> Your Info, so I don't know why I was unable to delete the Origin files.

I have checked for Windows updates, and my computer found nothing. My antivirus software is ESET NOD32 and my anti-malware program is Malwarebytes, if that information is relevant.

Message 1 of 24 (13,944 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot update Origin: Code 9:5

[ Edited ]

Hi, @AlphredGlitchdoc

Edit: First try out a restart, if this doesn't help you out, proceed to the next solution.

If you don't have administrator rights, this might help:

1. Right click on the origin shortcut
  2. Click on "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Security" tab
  4. Click on "Advanced"
  5. Click "Change" next to Owner
  6. Type in your user name here, then click on"Check Names", then click OK
  7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under your user name
  8. Click on OK again.
  9. You'll probably get the following message: "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?" --> click on "Yes" 
  10. Click on "Edit"
  11. Click on your username from the list
  12. Check "Full control" underneath it
  13. Click on "OK"
  14. Click on "OK" again
  15. EDIT: Restart your PC

I hope this helps you out.

Please let us know the result. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 2 of 24 (16,518 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Hi, @AlphredGlitchdoc

Edit: First try out a restart, if this doesn't help you out, proceed to the next solution.

If you don't have administrator rights, this might help:

1. Right click on the origin shortcut
  2. Click on "Properties"
  3. Click on the "Security" tab
  4. Click on "Advanced"
  5. Click "Change" next to Owner
  6. Type in your user name here, then click on"Check Names", then click OK
  7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under your user name
  8. Click on OK again.
  9. You'll probably get the following message: "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?" --> click on "Yes" 
  10. Click on "Edit"
  11. Click on your username from the list
  12. Check "Full control" underneath it
  13. Click on "OK"
  14. Click on "OK" again
  15. EDIT: Restart your PC

I hope this helps you out.

Please let us know the result. Standard smile

Message 2 of 24 (16,519 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your answer. I made sure to follow your instructions and tried again to delete the Origin folder and got an error: "You need permission from [DESKTOP]\Owner to make changes to this folder."

Needless to say, I am the owner.

A new problem has also appeared: launching OriginSetup.exe doesn't open a window and doesn't even start a process according to the Task Manager.

I've attached a screenshot showing the permissions I have for Program Files (x86)\Origin.

EDIT: After restarting my computer and downloading the Origin client one more time, the installation worked. Thank you very much for your solution!

Message 3 of 24 (13,843 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi again, @AlphredGlitchdoc

I'm glad it helped you out. Large smile

addressing @Straatford87:

A new solution for a new error code to ad in the list. Standard smile

Message 4 of 24 (13,831 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I recently have started having the some problem and i saw that you had  Malwarebytes which i recently downloaded... since this was the only thing i saw that we both had going on I uninstalled Malwarebytes and restarted my computer. I reinstalled origin and everything is just fine now. I hope it helps you out too. 

Message 5 of 24 (13,797 Views)

Hi, @ForbiddenSnow13

I have Malwarebytes antimalware too. Origin is running smooth without any errors on my rig, so it's probably the settings of your MBAM that gives you the problem I think. Please, make sure you put all origin client services in the list of exceptions.

Message 6 of 24 (13,759 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkBanishing

It's been added! :eahigh_file:

Message 7 of 24 (13,743 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hmm I couldn't manage to solve it as described above and I'm still struggling.  when I click change. I don't have permissions....

so I'm still stuck any helpers?.  I also run malbytes.

Message 8 of 24 (13,268 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Cormellion1

Please turn off Malwarebytes completely, it keeps coming up in these threads as a conflict with Origin.

Message 9 of 24 (13,251 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Confirmed, It is definitely Malwarebytes. I tried everything to get past error 9.5 incl the instructions here but it was not until I spotted the comments RE Malwarebytes that made me make the link to the programme. once switched off Origin immediately updates. Seems to only have conflict when an update is due as usually logs in just fine.

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 24 (13,033 Views)