Cannot install recent update

by PinkTweedy

Original Post

Cannot install recent update

★ Apprentice

I tried to install the recent update of the Origin client but cannot complete the process. My PC (Windows 10)  tries to install but after the dialog window asking whether I want the computer to make changes to the computer, it crashes out and gives an error code of 11:0.

I have been in contact with EA chat four times but the problem is now worse rather than better. I have tried the following:

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling (wouldn't reinstall)

2. Turning off my virus protection (made no difference)

3. Clearing the cache (made no difference)

4. Doing a Clean Boot (following this, when I click on the download, the little blue circle starts but nothing else happens)

5. It was suggested to do a DNS flush which I tried but my computer said that no such command existed

6. Downloading CCleaner and running a clean (made no difference but signed me out of everything)

7. Creating a new User Profile with Admin privileges (did nothing)

I am reluctant to try chat again for obvious reasons. I have never had this problem before with Origin, it has always updated without any fuss.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 15 (717 Views)

Re: Cannot install recent update

Community Manager

@PinkTweedy 

Try the following troubleshooting steps as they have been marked as a potential solution to this error:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Origin-Update-Error-11-0/m-p/7941112#M38302

Do let us know if they also help you, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 15 (690 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, however none of the solutions offered have helped to resolve the issue. I have been on the phone for an hour to Origin help and they have not been able to resolve the issue either, or even identify what the problem might be. They keep telling me to download it again even though I have done it 8 times now with exactly the same result, ie it won't install.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome. I feel I am running out of options.

Message 3 of 15 (670 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there, @PinkTweedy

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a lot of luck so far. Let's try a manual Origin uninstall to see if we can clear out any remnant of Origin that might be prohibiting it from reinstalling. The manual process is known as "The Hard Way" because it does dig deep to ensure that the registry is clear of any leftovers.

Please run those steps, and then give reinstalling another try and let me know how it goes.

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 4 of 15 (611 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you for trying to help. Following all the solutions offered to me I did eventually manage to get Origin to install, but it would only show in Task Manager when I tried to run it, and wouldn't load.

I decided to try your solution but having followed all the steps very precisely I am now back in the position of having downloaded the program but when I click to install, the blue circle will turn a few times and then nothing, so it seems to have taken me backwards.

I have put in a lot of time to trying to sort this out and nothing  has helped.

Message 5 of 15 (585 Views)

Hey there, @PinkTweedy.

I took a look at the files you submitted with your EA Help cases, and it appears you're running version 1803 (April 2018 update) of Windows 10. I would advise running a Windows Update ("check online" option) to ensure you get the latest version. Your current version may be missing important information Origin needs to run. The latest version is 1903 (May 2019 update).

Once you manually uninstall Origin, let's see if we can get it working again under a Clean Boot. I know you said you did that earlier, but I want to ensure there's nothing running in the background that would block the file from being installed. We want to make sure anti-virus programs aren't stopping the installation of new programs.

When you run the installer for Origin, make sure to select Run as Administrator.

I hope that helps!

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 6 of 15 (570 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for pointing out that the Windows update hadn't been run, I thought I had it set to automatic.  I have now run the update and installed it.

Unfortunately it hasn't helped to resolve this issue.  I have tried running CCleaner Pro, and cleaned the registry. It did find Origin problems on the first pass, including one which said something about Origin Auto setup missing, which may be significant.

So then I went to my Admin user account, ran the CCleaner program, closed my anti virus and adblocker, ran the Hard Way uninstall, performed Clean Boot, ran the compatibility troubleshooter (which told me that Origin is incompatible) and it still doesn't want to install. I located the download file and tried to Open it from there, but all I get is the blue circle going round for a few seconds and then nothing.

I have installed and run other programs such as CCleaner without any issue, so this must be an issue with Origin.

The Origin download page DID allow me to order and pay for Sims Island Living but it won't let me play. Also having difficulty installing onto my other computer, that's another issue altogether. Feeling extremely disheartened now.

Message 7 of 15 (540 Views)

★ Apprentice

Update on this.

I read through searching the site that if you install an old version of Origin that it will then update to the new version and be good to go, so I tried this and managed to get as far as the update which has installed successfully and I now have the Origin icon on the desktop.

I have run sfc /scannow which found corrupt files and fixed them, and DISM /Online /Cleanup-image / RestoreHealth which ran successfully and found no issues.

However it still will not launch even when run as Administrator. Origin is active in Task Manager but using zero CPU.

Message 8 of 15 (507 Views)

Hey there, @PinkTweedy.

There's a couple more things that we'd like to try here.

Would you be able to create a new Windows account with admin rights on the PC? I'd like to see if it may be the result of permissions on the Windows account.

Additionally, if you could gather a new MSinfo from after the Windows Update and attach it to your most recent EA Help case, we can use that to determine some next steps. Just let us know when it's attached and we can take a look.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 9 of 15 (488 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks for getting back to me. I had already created the Admin user account, and have now attached the new msinfo file to the case.

Message 10 of 15 (481 Views)