Re: Cannot install games even after trying most "fixes"

by BeachMagnolia64

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cannot install games even after trying most "fixes"

★★★ Novice

Hi, 

This sucks. I can't install any games. I'm getting the "Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission." But it never asks for permission.

I think that I've tried everything, and I've even been through one phone support call with no luck.

I have tried:
- Running as admin

- Turning UAC all the way up, uninstall/reinstall Origin

- Turning UAC all the way down.

- Clearing AppData in Local/Roaming

- Install on a Clean Boot

- Install in Safemode with Networking

- Disabling Origin Web Helper Service from Windows Services

- Creating a new directory to install to. (Taking ownership of that Dir, Sub-dir, and all files)

I am pretty damn good at trouble shooting, but nothing is working.

Help, pls.

Message 1 of 7 (888 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@412cmdr I am going to DM you specifics. This is Frankensteined to a degree that I wouldn't want a random person to try this. I.e. If another user reads this thread in the future, I caution against this approach. There is no guarantee this will resolve your issue, and the Origin installation might get further borked in the process.

EDIT: OP's issue was resolved.

View in thread

Message 7 of 7 (630 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@412cmdr You mentioned the Origin Web Helper Service, but did you try (with the Origin client closed) disabling the Origin Client Service via the Windows Services Manager, then reopening the Origin client?

Message 2 of 7 (848 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! That did not work. I still get the error. These are the steps I followed:

• Closed Origin
  • Disabled Origin Client Service in Windows Services Manger. (Note: Origin Web Helper Service is disabled at this time too.)
  • Ran Origin as Administrator
  • Clicked Download
  • Received the same error.
Message 3 of 7 (806 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@412cmdr I hate sending you in circles, but try it with Origin Web Helper Service set to automatic for the Startup type. Basically have the Origin client in its default state except for disabling Origin Client Service.

Actually, before trying that, I saw you mentioned the Origin AppData subdirectories in Local and Roaming, but did you try deleting the subdirectories in %ProgramData%/Origin, with the exclusion of the LocalContent subdirectory (as outlined here)? If you haven't, I should have mentioned that first (make sure to delete AppData\Roaming\Origin again as well as per the steps). I would first set Origin Web Helper Service to automatic and Origin Client Service to manual before trying that. If clearing the cache doesn't work, then try disabling Origin Client Service.

PS When you uninstalled Origin, did you use the steps listed under "the hard way" in the help documentation? Lastly, did you use the OriginThinSetup installer or the OriginSetup installer, and regardless of which, was the unblock box ticked or unticked in the executable's properties? It might help to select unblock in the installer's properties.

OriginSetupProperties.PNG

Message 4 of 7 (791 Views)

★ Novice

Maybe Try signing out, then uninstalling origin, then closing the browser (like google chrome, Microsoft edge, or fire fox) , after closing the browser shut down the computer completely. Wait maybe an hour to turn the computer on again, then redownload origin, (make sure the browser like google chrome Microsoft edge or fire fox is closed when doing) . If this doesn't work you make have to run a security scan on the computer, it may be the computer causing this, or maybe your internet, if this works you don't have to thank me. If this doesn't work I'm very sorry for you, and I think you may have to check your computer storage. You may actually not have enough room for more games! 

Message 5 of 7 (769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Cantiras  Ok, so I went through ALL OF THAT. I thank you so very much!!! I even did The Hard Way uninstall too. But it still didn't work. Sigh. Anyway. I just tried it on my laptop and it looks like it's working. Any idea how to clone the settings from there. I'm two seconds away from downloading it on the laptop, and moving it onto an external, then moving it on to the pc that it won't install on. Big WTF to all of this.

Message 6 of 7 (649 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@412cmdr I am going to DM you specifics. This is Frankensteined to a degree that I wouldn't want a random person to try this. I.e. If another user reads this thread in the future, I caution against this approach. There is no guarantee this will resolve your issue, and the Origin installation might get further borked in the process.

EDIT: OP's issue was resolved.

Message 7 of 7 (631 Views)