Re: Can't play Origin sign-in games without Internet connection

by EchoSunClover

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@Holger1405 I tried to reproduce this behaviour but couldn't get it. So maybe there is a bug in there that needed fixing at the time (see previous post).

I tried again today, after Origin wasn't started for a few weeks. I got the login-prompt, entered my credentials and started into offline mode. I was able to start Dragon Age Inquisition, and it didn't even try (and fail) to connect to the servers and instead booted faster than ever, just displaying the "you won't be able to use online features" message. I "Exit"et origin several times and was able to start it again with my credentials without ever connecting it to the internet. 

@Hilaley97 Can you confirm that the issue still persists for you after updating Origin? If it persist for you, this may after all be a bug. 

( Also relevant to @EA_Nils ). 

Message 41 of 281 (3,646 Views)

@QuickTen

I assume you disabled your internet connection manually this time? My Theory is that sometimes, as long as there is a working, not disabled Network adapter in the system, Origin will try to connect (and fail to do so if a internet connection is not available) with the server and then fails to set itself properly into Offline mode. 

If my theory is true, disabling the Network adapters manually should solve the problem.     

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 42 of 281 (3,634 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Holger1405 I also manually disabled the internet connection when I made my previous posts, so my guess is that we are seeing some kind of bug here. If starting into offline mode won't work when you formally have an internet connection but cannot reach the servers, this would still constitute a bug. 

Message 43 of 281 (3,621 Views)

Community Manager

@QuickTen Hi,

Thanks for all the detail, but I am not 100% sure I follow. Can you explain exactly where you envision the bug?

In theory, when you have a working internet connection and log in and then set your Origin Client into Offline mode, you should be able to stay there for 4 weeks without being prompted to log on.

Now there is one caveat, some games will require an internet connection and will not support offline mode.

The more information you could provide around what you were doing and how any of the behavior was not as you expected or as you had encountered in the past would help.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 44 of 281 (3,618 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Nils

Old situation

Origin is started after a reboot. If the servers cannot be reached, login will be denied and even offline mode isn't accessible. 

New situation

After reboot, or even after exiting Origin, when no internet connection is available, I can start Origin into offline mode, but I have to reenter my credentials.

Possible bugs / design flaws

1. Design flaw: When starting Origin with internet available and "remember me" clicked upon the last login, Origin logs the user in automatically, but when starting Origin without internet it will prompt for credentials (an unnecessary inconvenience).

2. Bug: Apparently for some people – including me until I tested again today after not starting Origin for two or three weeks – cannot start Origin into offline mode. 
    • Whether "remember me" was clicked when logging in, didn't have any effect on this behaviour.
    • It didn't matter if one was logged in already on even the same day – starting the offline mode required internet (i.e. the issue was not caused by not having logged in for too long). 
    • It remained possible to start Origin with internet connection and then switch to offline mode, but this defeats the point, as the issue was about starting Origin itself without internet connection. 
  3. Bug (unconfirmed): Apparently when the user is connected to a local network, but cannot connect to the servers – e.g. because of ISP issues – the Origin client won't start into offline mode, instead reporting that it cannot authenticate the user. While this bug can be circumvented by e.g. disabling Wifi, the solution is not apparent to users, especially users who at that time cannot google for a solution. (I cannot check this right now.)
  4. Bug (unconfirmed): I may have exprienced not being able to start Dragon Age Inquisition despite Origin running – i.e. Origin didn't realize, that it had lost connection to the internet and would require an internet connection to allow starting a single player game. However, I cannot confirm this anymore. Possibly related to the previous bug. 
Message 45 of 281 (3,608 Views)

★★★ Novice

THIS DOESN'T WORK. Even when I click "keep me signed in," IT SIGNS ME OUT. It won't stay in offline mode and it won't stay signed in. I'm done with Sims, its not worth this *. I hate Origin.

Message 46 of 281 (3,355 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Aside from instances like updating the game with a patch or when playing Multiplayer (which I DO NOT play multiplayer).
ALWAYS CRASHING because "connection to server is lost"

All I've done is pay for the right to borrow the game from the company.

CONNECTION TO SERVER IS LOST
...even when I'm "offline" in Origin....

Gets on your nerves does it not? Well join the club!

Message 47 of 281 (3,294 Views)

@EchoSunClover

So this happens in Single player mode?

Did you try to repair the game? (in Origin > Game Library > right click DA: I > Repair)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 48 of 281 (3,285 Views)

★ Guide

I have updated the Solution post because the old steps do not work on version 10 of Origin. These new steps on the Solution should allow you to play games requiring Origin sign in when you have no Internet connection.

Message 49 of 281 (3,257 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

With the recent outage to even play, this option to play for a game that was purchased affects the user who is not doing anything wrong the most.

Example:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/30/ea-blocks-origin-access-in-myanmar/

What benefit is there to the consumer that bought the game,to 'have to play online' when the game does not have anything to do with any online mechanism? Alot of stores don't carry shelf copies anymore, which also require the 'website' download.

Combine this with ISP now CAPPING download limits a month like Comcast to 1TB? 

Origin should provide a full ownership solution.

Or are we mistaken, and this purchase is a 'license'?

Message 50 of 281 (3,065 Views)