Re: Can't play Origin sign-in games without Internet connection

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't play Origin sign-in games without Internet connection

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Edit: There seems a way to actually play sign-in games offline, the steps are on the solution.

Games that require you to sign in to Origin such as The Sims 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition will only start if signed in to Origin. If not connected to the Internet without Origin running, the game will not start as Origin won't sign in. Basically, you need an Internet connection to start games that require Origin sign in. Otherwise, the game won't start until you are connected to the Internet.

On Steam, if you are not connected to the Internet and you start Steam, it allows you to run it in Offline Mode assuming if Steam remembers your account and you can run games that require Steam which most non-EA or non-Unisoft games do. However, Origin doesn't provide such an option even if you told Origin to Remember Me. I've learned that to put Origin in Offline Mode, you have to be connected to the Internet and signed in to Origin. This might be annoying on laptops if you started Windows or OS X and you're not connected to the Internet making you unable to play your games. I did report this issue from the thread in The Sims forums back in November 8, 2014 and was told to post the issue here but I haven't gotten the chance.

Here's the results when I try to play The Sims 4 and The Sims Medieval:

• Connected to Internet, Origin is running, & signed in to Origin: Can play the game.
  • Disconnected from the Internet while Origin is running, signed in: Origin automatically runs in offline mode and can start the game.
  • Not connected to the Internet, not signed in to Origin: The game will not start as Origin won't sign in due to no Internet connection.

Games that don't require Origin sign in such as The Sims 3 (1.67) will start without issues without an Internet connection but others like The Sims 3 (1.69) and The Sims 4 won't.

Message 1 of 281 (359,729 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

You can play almost all Origin Single Player Games offline.

The games must be authorized online at the first time you start them, after that you can set Origin to offline mode.

Note: That also counts for single player DLCs. (New DLCs must also be authorised online at the first time you start the game with them.)

Troubleshooting

If a Game wont start in Origin's offline mode:

- Close Origin completely.

- Disable your internet connection. (pull the plug or disable the network adapter in the Windows Device manager or the Network Connections.

- Start Origin > login (that is also required in offline mode.) > Start the Game.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 82 of 281 (261,486 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice
I hate this. It renders buying games useless!! Why can't I play my game when I want? I won't always have an internet connection....
Message 2 of 281 (359,286 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Edit: It seems that with Origin v10, the steps on playing sign in games have changed. Here's the new instructions, I have to thank rosemow from The Sims Forums for helping

It looks like I've found a solution to fix the Origin problem.

1. Start Origin, sign in, and be connected to the Internet.
  2. Put Origin in Offline Mode (click Origin and click on Go Offline or use Ctrl + Shift + W), you can tell that you are in offline mode if you see OFFLINE MODE on the top right in the window.
  3. Disconnect your computer from the Internet, and then close Origin (Right click the Origin icon on the task bar and click Quit Origin or by clicking Origin on the menu bar and then Exit).
  4. Launch Origin or a game requiring Origin sign in (e.g., The Sims 4 or Dragon Age: Inquisition) and enter your password.
  5. If done correctly, you can start playing your Origin games such as The Sims 4 without an Internet connection.

This is kept when offline, even if you shut down/restart. Hope that helped you.

Message 3 of 281 (359,217 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice
But, is it possible to play without an Internet connection completely?
I have moved house and don't have Internet at home currently and am getting "You must be online when logging in for the first time" when attempting to open my game via a desktop shortcut. I have played many many hours, but all by connecting to origin first. Kinda crappy that I can't play my game without connecting to the net.
Message 4 of 281 (358,587 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
That didn't help me. every time I log in I always click remember me but sometimes i still have to sign in. It just so happen I don't have Internet connection right now and it's asking me to sign in. Origin is sucks Big D for me not being able to play the Sims 4 (like my favorite pc game) with out having a connection. That's unfair and it makes me second guess buying the packs that plan on coming out for the game.
Message 5 of 281 (358,193 Views)

Community Manager

@WHYYonder Hi,

An internet connection is required for the start of the Origin Client. You should not need it every time you start your PC but it will be required periodically. Afterwards you can click on Offline mode and then play the Sims, as explained here: https://www.origin.com/how-to/offline-mode

Cheers,

Nils

Message 6 of 281 (358,172 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I realize that however I feel it's unfair that after paying for the game and downloading it onto my computer the only way for me to play is for me to have Internet connection For origin To start up. periodically I do have to sign in to play my games so if I don't have a connection I'm screwed. I have been buying all the packs for Sims since Sims 2 and the way it is going about with Sims 4 which I love to play makes me hesitate buying anymore because I see this happening in the future and I don't want to waste my money on a game I can't play. Oh well
Message 7 of 281 (358,139 Views)

★ Apprentice

i have to agree. it is extremely unfair.  I have a ton of titles bought through you guys, and i just found out on my last underway i cant play any of them in my free time. I am in the Navy, about to deploy for 7 months, and in my off time being stuck at sea with almost no port calls, i'm finding out i cant play the games i paid for. Because of this that i regret doing business with EA and Origin. If i had known, i would have spent my money elsewhere. It is things like this that make people prefer to download cracked software in the first place.

At least i can still access the few games i have on steam.

Message 8 of 281 (358,094 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Exactly my point.
Message 9 of 281 (358,091 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm having this problem too. I want to play my origin games, but don't have internet access, i already bought them.

Message 10 of 281 (357,816 Views)