Can't login into Origin website

by MoroniStubbe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't login into Origin website

★ Novice

I'm using Chrome.

I try to log in at "https://www.origin.com/$myCountry/en-us/store".

I get the error "Sign in failure. Sign in is currently unavailable. Please try again later." (See attachment "error.jpg")

Looking at the Network tab in DevTools I see that

"https://accounts.ea.com/connect/auth?client_id=ORIGIN_JS_SDK&response_type=token&redirect_uri=nucleu..."

returns the error "login_required" (code 102100). (See attachments "error2.jpg" and "error3.jpg")

But if I visit the link in a separate tab it returns a token without error. Like it should.

{
"access_token":"$someToken",
"token_type":"Bearer",
"expires_in":"14399"
}

Now I don't know what the error means so I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4 (1,823 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't login into Origin website

Community Manager

Hey all, if seeing issues such as this you will need to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To  speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to begin a chat or request a call back.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (1,692 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

I've the same error code in a similar use case (the browser is brave that is very similar to chrome) : buy a game from origin store passing by EA account through this URL

https://accounts.ea.com/connect/auth?client_id=ORIGIN_SPA_ID&response_type=code&redirect_uri=nucleus...

{"error_code":"login_required","error":"login_required","error_number":"102100"} 

I don't know how it works but it seems that login REST WS (connect/auth) is broken.

Message 2 of 4 (1,710 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, if seeing issues such as this you will need to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To  speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to begin a chat or request a call back.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 4 (1,693 Views)

★★ Novice

It seems that this issue is older one and not all that prioritized, since I remember having the same situation ages ago and just gave up.

In any event, reason is the third-party cookie blocking, if third-party cookies are enabled then it would work.

Why visiting the page works for you @MoroniStubbe is because you are going directly to the ea.com which is different domain.

Same applies to you @TheBadCase87 since Brave shield will block third-party cookies by default (cross-site cookies in Brave terminology).

In any event, this seems like an infrastructure decision and not an easy issue to fix (legacy code is rarely modified when it should). Although, when Chrome and other browsers decide to block third-party cookies by default, some manager will start to prioritize relevant issues because suddenly some sales will drop, something very visible on Excel spreadsheet. However, what is not visible is how much lost revenue is there already.

TL;DR

Reason: Blocking of third-party cookies

Solution: For Firefox you can add "accounts.ea.com" (or just ea.com) in cookie exception list as allow and then it should work.

With Brave it didn't work since from what I saw they don't have this implemented so you will need to enable all cross-site cookies for origin.com. In Chrome/Edge the exception list should work.

Message 4 of 4 (1,321 Views)